MixBuzz1 Build/Support thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Skidmorebay,

-Turbo: you're right
-Soft: controls are dependent like on the original SSL comp. I don't know why but it soften the compression. Tight; controls are independent and compression sounds a little tighter. No auto release or soft/hard knee at all! Difference is subtle, but real.
-Dual: you're right but with a dual envelope timing: first release time is program dépendent, the 2nd is release control dependent. Very effective option.
-Thrust loud and medium: again you're right.

Happy to see that my BOM's helped you! Does your Mixbuzz works already? Do you like it? Enjoy!

Well, thanks to this forum, the member that sold me the mixbuzz1 pcb, Trench Recordings for the V2.5 files, Igor's work and some time, a self etched version of this project might be soon available.
I'm still verifying the mainboard PCB, but I'm getting close finally.
It won't be an EASY one, I'll post some pics (probably just screenshots) in couple of days. Etching might require some really good skills.
So if you don't have a mixbuzz1, if you want another one, you might be able to get one (or more) in 2015.
As always, I'm providing this for free, please, don't use that to make some money, donate something to the forum, read A LOT about this project, everything that you can find on the mixbuzz1, I won't provide any kind of support, no time for that.

It's done.
I've not build it yet, but I've checked I think everything on it through Sprint Layout, checking with the schematic from V2.5.
I'll try to do an etching session this week if I can to post the results.
When I'll have time, I'll do a note explaining the small différences from Igor's PCB. Good luck if you want to try it before.
Reminder : This is free, this should NEVER be used as a commercial thing,  thanks to Igor for his work.

Attachments

• Mixxbuzz1 DIY ALL.pdf
    737.5 KB · Views: 85
I have a slight problem with one of my 2 builds. The other is working perfectly. The problematic one is completed, passes audio, compresses, and is calibrated. The problem is with the stereo-detect switch. When the switch is closed (in GSSL mode) everything works as it should. When the switch is open (turbo mode) my compressor freaks out.

Simply put, when the switch is open the compressor over reacts and recovers very slowly. When it should only be compressing 1 or 2 dB it's compressing 12+ dB. On lower ratios the audio recovers faster with faster release times and visa versa. So the problem is affected by all of the compressor's side-chain functions. It's almost as if the signal crosses the threshold and there's a short.

We've tried swapping the DG403 and the TL074 chips out with good ones and that doesn't seem to be the  problem.

Any one have any possible solutions or ways to further troubleshoot? Any places to maybe start looking?

second build and i get a lot of problems  :-\

right side: cnb works but at wet no audio is passing the compressor.
left side: cnb seems to work but instead of level of the unprocessed audio gets louder in direction dry, it seem to be louder in the middle of the pot and than get lower again.
at all: attack, release, theshold, makeup and ratio isnt working. nothing.  this is confusing me.

i was checking all capacitors and also i know there is a swaped molex at the cnb. really don´t get it....

any ideas?

ok, first problem i was able to fix. now audio pass the compressor on both sides and mix is behavian in the same manner.  but my control is still not working at all. 

has anybody a idea?

do i have to connect 1,2,3 of jp4 to the switch in revision 2.5?
strange... when i take all pots out i still get a signal passing the compressor. should i?
and the signal seems not compressed in any manner. how can this be?

ok, i am sure the problem is in the cnb. in my opinion, it seems no compressed audio is passing the comp. all i can listen is the input, thats simply why my control isnt working.  but for today i am no more able to meassure, because the battery of my multimeter is empty....

:-X

i checked the relays, work like they should. but i was able to locate the problem a bit more: when i power up compressor in bypass i can measure a connection between in + and out +, both sides, like it should be. same with the minus connection. but when i take out the bypass, i dont have a connection between in and out anymore. instead i can measure a conection between all poles (+,- and ground) of out left and out right. i guess there is a connection to ground somewhere.  any ideas where to search?

ok, i used a 1n4007 instead of 1n4004. can this be the problem? i was sure it´s not a problem and the 4007 can block just higher voltages, isnt it?

The number at the end of the 1N400X is just the voltage rating/tolerance, it shouldn't effect anything.  Easiest thing is to see if any of the diodes are flipped.  Then look for solder bridges.  Then check if any mounting hardware (washers and such) are making a short.  Then scratch head and try again.
Patrick

what confueses me is that i can measure the short only when powered. this means one of the relays or op-amps is involved i think...

edit: now i get buggy... i changed the hole pcb to another one i did and i got the same problem? wtf...

question: with relay do you use? i took omron g5v-2 with is a dpdt 12v relay...

Latest posts

Back