Vocal track compression problem

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

simonsez

Hai all, it's only me or it is normal. When the singer sing the words "eeee...." like "in heeereee...", it's looks like my compressor missed that words.. :-X so it's sound louder than else. I'm using G1176 ===>LA2A for vocal chain. In the end i must manually draw level automation. Is there tips for solve this problem?

Thank You../

Seems like a strange one, could have been your compressor settings compounding the problem.

I generally draw in automation curves to smooth these areas, but generally it's limited to sibilance.

Could you post a clip?

Mark

Maybe cheat the threshold down a little.

But maybe the 'eeee' sound isn't being seen much by the detector.

Maybe see where that is frequency-wise, send the vocals out to an EQ, boost that up, and send into the sidechain if you can?

Hi,

I have had great results reducing sibilance in Izotope RX. I have also adjusted bass proximity, and mid honkiness( from u87!!!!!! Honk! honk! ) with it. You might get some traction with your EEEEEES too . . .

KIndest regards

ANdyP

To me it's looks like the compressor less sensitive to mid high freq (around 2,7khz), it's not my compressor fault, it's happened too when i use a plug-ins compressor.

Ok, i'll try the sidechain trick...i hope it can be done within my DAW.

I'ts on going mixing session, so i can't post a clip, sorry...

Thank you...

Just speculating here but I think the words you are noticing not being compressed may have less bass content compared to other words. When I come across issues like that, I usually ride the fader, pre or compressor. I usually have a rough idea where the weak words are to a song after a few test vocal takes and make my adjustments when necessary on the recorded takes.

canidoit said:
Just speculating here but I think the words you are noticing not being compressed may have less bass content compared to other words. When I come across issues like that, I usually ride the fader, pre or compressor. I usually have a rough idea where the weak words are to a song after a few test vocal takes and make my adjustments when necessary on the recorded takes.

Exactly, i think it's about his singing technique, too much dynamic. In the end i must draw a lot of level automation manually  :mad: :mad:

Well I almost don't dare to say it, but I don't like the 1176 on vocals for exactly that reason. Some syllables are to much compressed than others without any dynamic reason. You see a lot of compression and it sound to soft and on other syllables are still popping out. And IIRC it had something to do with some vowels.

My 1176 setting for vocal, Ratio=8, attack=medium, rel=fast. It's not happened on other vocal track, just the way he sang is to much dynamic (?). It solved either by a few db notch at 2.7 khz or/and drawing level automation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back