TL074 subs - opinions/experiences?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rafafredd

I´m looking for subs for TL074 IC and I would like to get any opinions about the following opamps:

LM324N (I can get many for cheap, but it´s not a FET input device...)
MC3401
OPA 404
AD713
OPA4131
OPA404
LF147/347
LF444
KF347
MC33284
LT1058

Any others you have tried?

Generally, there's no such thing as a substitute.

It depends entirely on the circuit, and what sort of tradeoff's are already built-in.

Don't underestimate the people that made and optimized the design originally..!

Jakob E.

Nice point.

It´s for my AMEK 2500 EQ clone. I really don´t understimate the people who designed it, but as I´ve designed my own PCB for it, it´s not a perfect clone in any sense and I thought I could try some other opamps instead of the TL074 just to hear if any of them gives a nicer taste to my ears. It´s easy to drop some other opamps there, as my prototype is all socketed.

It´s just experimenting, and I really think it´s worth doing. If I make four channels, with four diferent opamps types, I may end with very diferent sounding EQs... that´s what I thought...

Rafafredd

I would design the board to take the standard dual opamp package and not the quad. Then you could use two TL072s or mix opamps if you deside to change the circuit.

FWIW in guitar effects I like to use the LF353 or LF412 over the TL072. The 353 sounds more "musical" when overlouding and seems to have more drive current.

The Amek M25000 section does not at all depend on using FET-input opamps - so I think the MC33079 would be an obvious candidate here. Or LM837 or whatever it's named when it comes from national. Basically an audio-optimized quad opamp, pin compatible with '074 - but with less power drive capabilities than NE5534/5532

I've used MC33079's in a lot of TC1140 EQ's, and they work VERY well in circuits like these...

Jakob E.

i agree with Gyraf with the mc33079 for eq circuits. i use the opa404 on critical gain circuits and use the mc33079 for the eq since the opa404 doesn't make the eq any "better".

rafa, the opa404 is EXPENSIVE (like 12$ a peice)to buy but TI is all too happy to send you 5 free samples.. at a time...:green:

at a time! you can choose 8 devices, the cheapo ones like 5532s and 5534s you can usually get 10, the more expensive ones like the opa604 opa134, opa404 you can usually get 5 each of. so every so often i'll get:

5 opa2604(replace 5532, tl072/82)
5 opa2134(replace 5532, tl072/82)
5 opa404(replaces tl084 and most other quads)
5 opa627s
10 5532
10 5534
10 tl0xxs for sidechains and the such

and maybe something for work.. :green:

but my work really does buy a lot of TI stuff because I am very happy with them and their sample program! it's the best I have used!

they'll even ship overnight for us in the USA for free, I don't know about elsewhere.

[quote author="Svart"]they'll even ship overnight for us in the USA for free, I don't know about elsewhere.[/quote]
The same to Denmark. It get's her after one or two days. You just have to pay VAT (and a UPS fee) though. That's probably the same in other European countries also.

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

> LM324N (I can get many for cheap, but it´s not a FET input device...)

LM324 has low enough input current to work in many hi-Z circuits. BUT it has a terrible output stage, deep class B, gross crossover notch distortion. You can design around it, but there are better choices. (324 is a fine amp for many non-signal points.)

LF147/347
LF444
KF347

These are in the same family as the 071. IIRC, the 071 was a breakthrough in minimum die area, most chips per pound of silicon. These others may be more liberal with silicon and thus give more output current or smoother clipping. Or they could now be re-labeled 07x chips: the designs are similar enough that it makes sense to merge them. Juice-up the silicon, use the 07x mask, it might meet 347 specs too.

> they'll even ship overnight for us in the USA for free,

Note: if you register at National (similar sample program) with an EDU email address, they won't give you overnight service. Students with a term-project deadline should not wait to the last minute. However, after promising 2-6 weeks, they actually got samples (requested on an EDU account) from Singapore to eastern USA in about 3 days. So you might get lucky.

[quote author="PRR"]Note: if you register at National (similar sample program) with an EDU email address, they won't give you overnight service.[/quote]
If you register with a Danish e-mail address, you won't get ANY service. I have never been able to get samples of anything from National.

If I then call Arrow in Denmark, and answer a 10-question quiz correctly, I do get the samples...

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

Back