spectral analysis noise reduction awakening (again)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amorris@home

So, I was compiling a demo for a project and I lined them up, gain adjusted, blah blah, then ....WTF is that? 2 songs have a ruler straight line from start to finish. looked horrendous. Zoomed in to find it was air conditioning. damn, didn't hear that. auditioned the noise and it was not too objectionable. not too bad. I was careful to turn off the air, but this was recorded in his living room, in Florida, over the whole year, some of it in the summer. and it didn't really bother me even in the track. just the spectral analysis. so we ran a noise reduction algo and man did it open up the track! really took a haze right off. I guess I really do need to buy a spectral program. (rather than just bring tracks in the studio to repair, I need to do this on the 1 track in the field, not the mixes) my ears were certainly blind to this type of noise. (pun intended)

anyone else have an experience with something you could see (waveform, spectral, etc..) but not hear right away? I cant be the only one.

I've not exactly had that issue, but I've found the Izotope RX plug-ins to be very useful for removing low level noises like amp hum, hiss from high gain guitars, wind, trucks going past etc.

That stuff really adds up with multi track recording and compression, so well worth doing. For me it's been a big step towards more transparent sounding recordings.

I personally have never had it be a problem... sure you can look at it after wards and go, hmmm look at that. But reality is, we in the audio business. If you can't hear it then it really is not a problem is it?

Latest posts

Back