Is this Portable Digital Storage Oscilloscope good enough for DIY builds here?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canidoit

Is this oscilloscope good enough for the builds around here or all proaudio units?
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ARM-DSO-Portable-Digital-Storage-Oscilloscope-DIY-KIT-/190399216030?pt=AU_B_I_Electrical_Test_Equipment&hash=item2c54ad799e

What sort of issues may I encounter using this cheap alternative?
eg. your calibration on your units may be out,
if so what sort of callibration issues - like your unit will be distorted and not clear?

Would this unit be ok for the 1176, La2a, GSSL, NV73, EQN.

Are there any other units that this device would be O.K. on?

I got one of them.. love it, as small as a mobile phone. they actually look better in the flesh than that picture, and are very easy to use.

I use mine for repair of old synths / outboard etc.. and it works a treat.

As for calibration & accuracy.. I dunno, I just use it to 'see' the signal.

You can calibrate it, and it's got a bunch of functions that are handy. (Signal generator etc)

Regards
Mike
(Australia)

It looks fairy worthy for the small amount of scratch.... It's got a 1X and 10X probe which makes it more usable.

Only issue I would have with it is I use a 2 channel scope and I'm always using both channels.

Have you checked out the USB units + software or Soundcard + Software types?

Futureman said:
I got one of them.. love it, as small as a mobile phone. they actually look better in the flesh than that picture, and are very easy to use.

I use mine for repair of old synths / outboard etc.. and it works a treat.

As for calibration & accuracy.. I dunno, I just use it to 'see' the signal.

You can calibrate it, and it's got a bunch of functions that are handy. (Signal generator etc)

Thanks for the information. I've been itching to get something like this. Sometime a go on this forum there was a thread about similar portable gadgets (can't find the thread now, dammit why don't I bookmark stuff like normal people do).

Anyway, in there it was warned that the bandwidth for these kind of gadgets is very low (for an oscilloscope). While they might be great for just "seeing" the signal, they can't be used for many standard oscilloscope duties like tracking down oscillations, or zooming in to square wave edges to detect ringing in high detail etc.

More little scopes in this thread.....

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=36488.0

Back