SSL 9k Newbie Build

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leitrim_lad

Hey everyone, im wondering if you could help me with my SSL9k build..

I have read through most of the posts but cant seem to find definite answers.

My first question is about the BOM. I was going to go by KEITH's BOM
http://www.studio21.ch/diy/neeno/ssl9k/DIY_9k_Preamp.pdf
Im just wondering is there any changes or faults i would need to know about this BOM? I see alot of posts about somethings in this being wrong but they are from years ago.
Im not sure if there is a better and more up to date BOM out there etc?

My second question is about a PSU. I didnt get a PSU PCB with the kit so i was going to get the JLM Audio POWER STATION. I was just wondering if this would work for me needing the 18v and 15v rails or is there a simpler way round this?  I also intend to use the JLM pad/phase/48v kit.

My last question is would anyone have any advice on the best Gain switch and Transformer for me to get?

Thanks a million

Cool. It's just a pet peeve of mine - if people keep starting threads for every question they have it gets much harder to find the good, relevant info.

We are already up to almost 500 pages of threads - there's some AMAZING info there... let's try and keep it easy to navigate.

Good luck!  ;)

Cheers.. The main reason i posted it was because the SSL thread i was looking at was the old one and it looked as though it had not been posted on in awhile.. Hadnt actually come across the new 2009 one until after I posted.. WAY more up to date!!

On a completely different subject you might be able to help me on. .Its about ordering components. This is probably the stupidest question you'll ever see on this but im completely confused when it comes to ordering components. Im a COMPLETE newbie to this. For example if ordering a 470uf capacitor when i go into farnell there seems to be hundreds of different ones.. How do you know what voltage capacitor you need etc? All it says on the BOM is 470uf..

Thanks a million

I don't see any 470uF caps on that BOM.

It looks like all those smaller value caps with no voltage rating listed should be more than fine with 50V ratings. All the supply rails are under 20V, so there's no way voltages are going to exceed 40V in any normal situation. Most or all will probably never see even close to 40V.

I'll disclaim by saying that I glanced at the schematic and BOM for about 3 minutes, and I've never worked with this circuit. Someone please correct me if I missed something.

Hey cheers for the reply, sorry that was a miss type on my part its 470nf..

Its the voltages i was wondering about though and u have cleared that up for me i think.. You need to get caps that can handle what ever voltage is coming in on the rails would that be correct?

Also i see different type of caps, ceramic/film etc, whats the difference in these?

Thanks a million..

You need caps that are rated over the voltage that will be showing across them, and a little bit of headroom is certainly not a bad thing, cost and size aside.

Types of caps is too deep to go into, and I'm certainly no expert on them either. There are plenty of threads from the past discussing cap types for various uses.

There may be other BOMs you can dig up for this project that have specific part numbers.

Back