SA-3A (LA-3A Clone) Support Thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, if you look at the schematic and see any polarized capacitors that are connected to ground, They all received +28V going the wrong way.    If you're lucky, you only fried one or two components on the board, so break out the magnifying glass and see if you can find the culprit on board #2

a word to the fella's, I believe Mike has kindly extended the availability of the SA3A project! Check out his site for details, i don't think it's going to last too long? i already purchased my second pair of pcb's/kit!! stoked! Thanx Mike!

Hi Fella's,
does anyone know where to source the "framed" EA-11148 output transformer and the EA-11184 autoformer, i know mike at hairball has these(autoform not in stock), but both do not have the frames for mounting on the pcb.

Thanx for info
T

tonycamp said:
Hi Fella's,
does anyone know where to source the "framed" EA-11148 output transformer and the EA-11184 autoformer, i know mike at hairball has these(autoform not in stock), but both do not have the frames for mounting on the pcb.

Thanx for info
T

Hey Tony,

This is the EA-11148 with the frame right? http://www.hairballaudio.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=47

It's the just EA-11184 autoformer that isn't listed on the Hairball site right?

jcoutu1 said:
tonycamp said:
Hi Fella's,

Thanx for info
T

Hey Tony,

This is the EA-11148 with the frame right? http://www.hairballaudio.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=47

It's the just EA-11184 autoformer that isn't listed on the Hairball site right?

I'm pretty sure its there, just no frame, i'll email Mike and Mike to see if there may be a package deal for the 3 trannies with frames for the sa pcb's

Noob problems :-\ any help is appreciated, i have a slightly blackened R17, it still measures fine, and the blackening at R17 is on both boards, my PS section has the proper voltages, my wiring has been triple checked, with the bias voltage varipot turned completely ccw, i cannot get below 15.5v on the main board, and 22.5v on the secondary board. i've stared the schemo down for a long time, and tested a bunch, i'm thinking Q3 is bad? but on both boards? it's confusing me. When i send audio through, all i get is white noise.

i feel as if the blackening of R17 on both boards is telling a story that is over my head, anyone have an idea of what could be going on here?

thanx
T

Attachments

• sa3a blackened.jpg
    sa3a blackened.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 109
tonycamp said:
Noob problems :-\ any help is appreciated, i have a slightly blackened R17, it still measures fine, and the blackening at R17 is on both boards, my PS section has the proper voltages, my wiring has been triple checked, with the bias voltage varipot turned completely ccw, i cannot get below 15.5v on the main board, and 22.5v on the secondary board. i've stared the schemo down for a long time, and tested a bunch, i'm thinking Q3 is bad? but on both boards? it's confusing me. When i send audio through, all i get is white noise.

i feel as if the blackening of R17 on both boards is telling a story that is over my head, anyone have an idea of what could be going on here?

thanx
T

bump to my loo

Hey there, just a quick question im wondering could u help we with. I have my dual sa3a built ages now and very happy wit it. However something i noticed is both compressors seem to be compressing at different levels and if i put the link on and try compress as a stereo compressor i get MASSIVE phase issues.. Would anyone have any ideas of what might be wrong?

I've built some of these before, and they have been working great for awhile now, so I decided to build some more. I ran into a problem(s).

1. the LED Lamps wont light up, on either side, even though i read 35vdc at the pos pin, at "meter LED" the board.

2. TP3 meters at 2.5vdc, instead of 20.5vdc, like all of my others.

3. Audio output is horrible, and nothing seems to work as it should, on Channel 1.

4. Channel 2 works great, except it wont meter GR, only Output, and the Meter LED doesn't work.

I went wrong somewhere. Any advice, would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I love that I don't have to drill a hole for the LOAD switch!

leitrim_lad said:
Hey there, just a quick question im wondering could u help we with. I have my dual sa3a built ages now and very happy wit it. However something i noticed is both compressors seem to be compressing at different levels and if i put the link on and try compress as a stereo compressor i get MASSIVE phase issues.. Would anyone have any ideas of what might be wrong?

Does VR4 adjust that?

tonycamp said:
I'm pretty sure its there, just no frame, i'll email Mike and Mike to see if there may be a package deal for the 3 trannies with frames for the sa pcb's

Did you get any answer about this? I'm also looking out for that autoformer at the moment. And a package deal would be even better.

Hey Guys!

Quick question... I'm a absolute newbie to DIY as in the only thing I've ever done that's closed is replaced a pickup in a guitar!

So my question is, is this kit suitable for someone like me to get started? I'm certainly willing to take on a learning curve and work hard... but I'm wondering if this would be too much to take on as a beginner?

If not, what is the run down of everything I need to purchase to complete the compressor?

Quite excited about this  :)

Have a good one!
Geoff

Hey folks.

I'm kinda new around here.  Almost done with one of these.... thought I'd post a pic. Went together quite nicely,  just waiting on the T4Bs.

Cheers.

Attachments

• IMG_0531.jpg
    IMG_0531.jpg
    469.6 KB · Views: 107
Has anyone upgraded the pots in the SA-3A build? or felt the need to ? I am finishing up ordering the parts and am down to this. The ones on the BOM at Mouser look well.......    Anyone used  better quality carbon pots or stepped attentuators? 

I'm about to finish up my build and have two questions at this moment. I have a faceplate with no space for a power led. Can i just skip that led or do I have to put something in it's place?

The second question is about a couple of VU's I have from an old analog mixing console that are in pieces. It fits in the physical space, but I have no specs on them so how do I know if I can use them? The only info on them says DU-9G. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• 2-8.jpeg
    2-8.jpeg
    71.2 KB · Views: 17
Don't have the schematic in front of me but I'm sure you can leave the power LED out and use the VU.
The 3K6 resistor for the VU is already on the board (R36 i think...) Try it!!

Cheers//M

There is like a small light bulb in my VU.  Maybe I can replace it with 2x LED specified for 5v? As I think is what's in the meters specified in the BOM...

uffetuff said:
tonycamp said:

Did you get any answer about this? I'm also looking out for that autoformer at the moment. And a package deal would be even better.

never got an answer to this, i will need the stuff soon though....

Back