SSL 9K & 4K (E Series) 500 / 51X NEW BOARDS Mic Pre Thread 2011

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fishdrop said:
ok i tried my Jazz Bass with one of my Bo Hansen DI's.
the sound is awesome  ;D there are so many details i can hear now. wicked.

my SPL Track One with Lundahl inside has to step back i think.

i think the gain problem was not a gain problem at all. the two mics i used have diferent output level.
tried both channels mit Bass an BO DI. gain pot positions now almost match. i think i can call them ready  ;D ;D

:)
Best,
Bruno2000

after a couple of weeks one of my 4k's is not in proper working condition any more  :(

it's distorting but without clipping the input or output. metering on AD converter does not clip as well.

any tips what i should measure or check??

mtrombka said:
Hi

I have OEP A262A3E, do you have any idea for the R8,R16,C11,C18?
Thanks for your help

Best regard

I recently gathered SSL4k5.
I have used OEP A262A3E.
R16, C11, C18 I did not install. R8 = 150 kom.
I'm not sure that it is correct.
But even so.  Everything works fine. Sound good.

Look for the OEP spec sheets.  They list frequency response curves.  On those curves they specify the loading they used.  While they don't specifically "recommend" those loadings you can be sure they select loading that will generate good looking behavior so it is a recommendation of sorts.

However looking at your picture... while you are at it... spend the $7 and get the screening can...  they snap over the trafo easily (though you would have to unsolder it).

bruce0 said:
Look for the OEP spec sheets.  They list frequency response curves.  On those curves they specify the loading they used.  While they don't specifically "recommend" those loadings you can be sure they select loading that will generate good looking behavior so it is a recommendation of sorts.

However looking at your picture... while you are at it... spend the $7 and get the screening can...  they snap over the trafo easily (though you would have to unsolder it).

bruce0
Thank you for your clarification.
My photo is not a finished project.
Yes, I know I need to screen on the transformer.
In my finished version of a screen on the input transformer.

Hello everyone!

I recently finished 2 modules of SSL-9K series 500.
I just discovered that phase is reversed in normal position, and viceversa.
Does anyone noticed this? is it normal?

I read about a "swap mod" but can't find infos about that. Can someone help me?

Thanks in advance!  :D

Hi, I just finished constructing my SSL4K. Everything was so fine, sound was great - just like in SSL9K and  I was so happy with that. But there are two problems - in one of the preamps out signal is almost half lower then in others - just like if I have turn on pad -20db. Have you got any idea why its that? The second preamp seems not working at all - just cracles and make strange noise when I set gein, and the indicator rages - it gest worse when I turn on phantom. I repleaced potentiometer, but nothing changed. If you have any idea what's the problem - please help.

Hey everyone !!
does someone use Jensen JT-110K-HPC and verified R8 , R16 ,C11, C18 values? can you share please ?

thanks a lot :)

hello everyone ,

I've just lunch my first 9k and the R1 resistor exploded , i saw at the scheme that it's the first resistor in the chain... any idea what can it be?
i've check the 51x rack the values are OK....

omribgr said:
hello everyone ,

I've just lunch my first 9k and the R1 resistor exploded , i saw at the scheme that it's the first resistor in the chain... any idea what can it be?

Hi,
something is drawing too much current on your circuit. Probably you have a short somewhere. Check solder joints and for inverted ICs.
To have an idea of what's going on, measure resistance after R1 and ground. If you have a very low value, that's your problem.

qwerty8787 said:
omribgr said:
hello everyone ,

Hi,
something is drawing too much current on your circuit. Probably you have a short somewhere. Check solder joints and for inverted ICs.
To have an idea of what's going on, measure resistance after R1 and ground. If you have a very low value, that's your problem.

First thank you for helping :)
It seems that everyting's ok , I've built three , two are working and sound amazing !
the third one (the one that the R1 exploded) is fully assembled and the two that are working are without the led's pcb.
is there something that I've missed about the led's pcb? I saw that the first run had some exptra copper on it but i  guess it's too old ....

I'll add a link to a picture of it will be easier !

and also  a link for a better quality:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8o27w57limsbvyq/20141016_015541.jpg?dl=0

Attachments

• preamp.jpg
    preamp.jpg
    640.3 KB · Views: 104
Probably that's your problem. Go for the scrapping procedure and see if it solves (check with ohmeter between rails and gnd) and then power up

haha  ! I've fixed it :)
thank you for your help !

I took a razor and fixed it and now it works great without blowing the resistor.

just wondering , somebody had a problem with the connection between the API and the boards ? one of my board doesn't fit that good and i have to move it a bit to make it  work. I didn't figured out yet what causing it.

Hi, will these switches work out for the 9k5 pcb? I am trying to source materials.

http://www.newark.com/nkk-switches/b15ah/toggle-switch-spdt-r-a-on-mom/dp/73M9407

Thanks! :)

Back