ASIO4ALL saves my PTHD9 installation (or, How to run PTHD without ASIO hardware)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wtmnmf

So I decided to do the upgrade to PTHD9 even though I won't be using it on my HD rig just yet. I wanted to use it on my CAD workstation, and because the HD license allows you to run it in stand alone mode without Avid hardware I thought I'd be able to run it on that machine.  I'd considered the fact that I don't have an ASIO interface on the machine might mean that I could not hear anything, but I thought it would run and allow me to do some stuff graphically...  Well, it turns out that you get the old message 'no Digi hardware found'.  That message puzzled me because I thought that Digi hardware was not required for this license!  They should change the message because it implies something that is not true.  They really mean to say something like 'no compatible audio interface found'.  By the way, does anyone else hate the fact that it's the LAST thing that it checks for after five minutes  of loading plugins?  Anyway, I did a search and found ASIO4ALL.exe which makes PT9 think that there is an ASIO interface.  Works like a charm, it's free, and the audio is fine.

Another little hiccup on this deal was the iLok authorization.  I had to choose an old PT license to surrender for the upgrade and so I chose the oldest one on the list that Avid presented to me (HD7.2).  When I went to iLok.com to load the license it failed because it couldn't find the HD7.2 license to surrender. Called Avid and they were perplexed and put me on hold.  I gave them my number in case the call was dropped; it was and they never called back. Thanks Avid :(  While I waited I realized that what needed to be done was to move the license from the iLok account to the iLok key so that it could be surrendered and removed  ???    Not obvious, and shortens the life of the iLok because each key uses up a slot in the key permanently, even after the license has been removed.

wtmnmf said:
So I decided to do the upgrade to PTHD9 even though I won't be using it on my HD rig just yet. I wanted to use it on my CAD workstation, and because the HD license allows you to run it in stand alone mode without Avid hardware I thought I'd be able to run it on that machine.  I'd considered the fact that I don't have an ASIO interface on the machine might mean that I could not hear anything, but I thought it would run and allow me to do some stuff graphically...   Well, it turns out that you get the old message 'no Digi hardware found'.  That message puzzled me because I thought that Digi hardware was not required for this license!  They should change the message because it implies something that is not true.  They really mean to say something like 'no compatible audio interface found'.  By the way, does anyone else hate the fact that it's the LAST thing that it checks for after five minutes  of loading plugins?  Anyway, I did a search and found ASIO4ALL.exe which makes PT9 think that there is an ASIO interface.  Works like a charm, it's free, and the audio is fine.

Another little hiccup on this deal was the iLok authorization.  I had to choose an old PT license to surrender for the upgrade and so I chose the oldest one on the list that Avid presented to me (HD7.2).  When I went to iLok.com to load the license it failed because it couldn't find the HD7.2 license to surrender. Called Avid and they were perplexed and put me on hold.  I gave them my number in case the call was dropped; it was and they never called back. Thanks Avid :(  While I waited I realized that what needed to be done was to move the license from the iLok account to the iLok key so that it could be surrendered and removed  ???    Not obvious, and shortens the life of the iLok because each key uses up a slot in the key permanently, even after the license has been removed.

Honestly, i've heard so many people who say they've had problems with Protools HD9 running on normal hardware. I think Avid's decision to make Protools 'Sleep with any chick' is going to give them all a nasty something.

The turnaround solution for me in PT9 on the "No digidesign hardware found" is to press "n" Key while startup of PT9 and then choose an physical output available like "Built-in output" on Mac.
Cheerss

the problem is simple. Avid needs to stop releasing alpha and beta version of their software and then there would be no issues. However logic is quickly catching up so they gotta do something right?

New Soul Rebel said:
Honestly, i've heard so many people who say they've had problems with Protools HD9 running on normal hardware. I think Avid's decision to make Protools 'Sleep with any chick' is going to give them all a nasty something.

A new twist on audio fidelity  :p

Luckily it's just a playground for me ATM.  Still got the PT8 on XP with HD7 and 10 192's to back me up  ;D

Did run into an annoying twist with the asio4all driver...  it shows up in the sys tray only after pro tools loads, but pro tools requires restarting if you make any changes to the drivers settings!  So, if there is an adjustment to be made, you start PT, adjust, quit, restart, adjust, quit, restart, etc.  Ouch!

wtmnmf said:
  By the way, does anyone else hate the fact that it's the LAST thing that it checks for after five minutes  of loading plugins? 

That's what happened when you're using windows version, loading waves (bundle) plugins take a long time. I switched to mac (hack ;D), and it faster, and less trouble...

Latest posts

Back