Amp long distance from Guitar

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmitH

Does anyone have any ideas how to best get the signal from a guitar to an amp, over a long distance?
I have a full band play in one room, and the amps a couple of rooms away for isolation, but the unbalanced signal picks up noise on the way to the amp.

I tried DI'ing an electric guitar, then taking an AUX send from the desk, sending it to the xlr input of another DI located next to the amp, then out of the link connection into the amp, but it still has a hum. (plug the guitar directly into the amp and it's fine).

Just thought I'd ask to see what other people do.

I use a DI on one of my pres and send the balanced line-level signal to a NYDave Reamp box I built with an Edcor transformer.

ampinterface.jpg

In case of an amp head and a cabinet, keep the amp with the player and run a speaker cable to an another room. In case of a player, hook the cable to a cabinet ;) It is friday..

Sometimes simply having a stomp box inline will improve this, because it will act as buffer and line driver, sending a lower Z signal on to the amp.  Sometimes not......

+1 to the stomp box, while it won't be a balanced output it will isolate the cable capacitance from the guitar pickup, and deliver a reasonable output the amp can handle.

There are probably dedicated instrument preamps for sale that do the job better but for mo $$$...

JR

Build a clean boost "always on" pedal, with just output level pot (so it can either boost, have unity gain or attenuate). You will probably have to make sure thet the pot (usually the last component on the booster audio path) is sufficiently low resistance (cca. 10kOhm) so that the boosters' output impedance stays low enough - to prevent noise buildup in your long cables.

There are lots of schematics on the web, such circuits are usually cheap and often "just work". Find one that works for you and adapt it to your needs...

Apart from what was already said, controlable higher level output will provide both one more option to sound sculpting, and will also result in perceivable slightly "better" signal-to-noise ratio - if everything is OK at the instrument (if guitar per se is noisy/buzzy, it will just amplify that).

In other words, have a boost "near" player, or in the control room, and run a long cable to the amp..

Combining a clean boost with a 1:1 isolation transformer (for ground isolation would be a step up), and a step I never actually did despite having it on my "todo" list. Oh, well who gives a f*.

In the meantime, if you have one near you, you can try a ready-made clean boost pedal, but if you don't just use some non-true-bypass, (i.e. buffered) pedal as already suggested.

I have a 75+ft guitar cable I made using 3 conductor 'mic' cable w/foil shield. 

It's worked great for me over the years - no noise pickup problems and seems to lose less high response than typical long guitar cables.  I can't recall how or if I connected the shield wire.  The only drawback is mechanical noise if the wire is touched or moved.  Not a problem though if your're sitting in an iso booth playing .

Latest posts

Back