Problem Access Virus B

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Audioman

I Guys, I have an issue with my Virus b.

1. Turn it on
2. The LCD comes up with the startup screen (OS 4.9 etc...). Then it starts glitching and resetting continuously. The brightness of the LCD also sort of glitches birghter/darker etc..
3. The LFO LED's are lit. Nothing else works/lights up.
4. It never boots, so there's no way to reset the Virus etc..
5. Turn it off/on again and does it all over again. One out of 40 times it actually starts up and works.

I figure it's something about the power supply not getting the DSP good power, or it's not getting a good clock signal and it keeps trying to re-boot. Or I guess sonem other bad connecton somewhere.

Here's what I've tried.
1. Powered the unit with a bench supply up to 15v to see if it works when given clean power up to 15v DC. Didn't help.
2. Checked the connectors. This is not the problem since it should boot-up without the front panel board or LCD even hooked up. The problem is on the mainboard somewhere. Everything there looks fine. No visually bad parts or connections.

If anyone has any experience with this or can offer any suggestions I'd be grateful.
Access didn't offer any advise or schematics

I'd contact Access and see if you can send it to them.

If you want to poke around, check the common items like regulators etc and make sure that you have proper power inside.

Hi Kazper,
i have already contact access and this is the answer :

Dear Fabio,
Thank you for your email. In this case I can't rule out this being an actual hardware defect, since this is anything but normal. I recommend to get in touch with our hardware service department by filling out the web form here:

http://www.synthesizerservice.de/html/order_en.php?lang=en

Our engineers might have an idea what might be causing this and they of course can also send you an offer on how much a possible repair might cost.

Best wishes,
Jörg Hüttne

i have contact the syntesizer service with the form on the web site but at the moment nothing ....

now i try to verify the common items , i hope to find the fault and fix it ....
i let you know
thank you
Fabio

Problem Solved !!!
After contacting official repair center and ask in vane for the service manual i have changed all the electrolytics (schematics attached) and all the 3 voltage regulator.
all is working perfect now
If you have the same problem do the job and you solved !!
Thank you all
Fabio

Attachments

• Board condensatori corretta.pdf
    180 KB · Views: 98
I have repaired two of these now. They had the same symptoms and both times it was the 100uF capacitor indicated in the attached picture that needed replacing. It didn't look damaged from the top but once removd you could see the bottom was bulging.

IrFolMv.png

Attachments

• VirusB_failing_capacitor.png
    VirusB_failing_capacitor.png
    82.2 KB · Views: 28
Can confirm this cap as a common issue, had a dead one on the bench and swapping over the 100uf capacitor circled fixed it.

Yeah, definitely caps. Another common issue is the rather wobbly onboard power connector jack.

kasbah said:
I have repaired two of these now. They had the same symptoms and both times it was the 100uF capacitor indicated in the attached picture that needed replacing. It didn't look damaged from the top but once removd you could see the bottom was bulging.

For anybody who found this old thread in a search to fix their Access Virus b -

I just replaced the 100uf capacitor as described here and it completely fixed my dead Virus. Woo hoo! I'm so happy. Thank you so much to kasbah for posting this fix.

Btw, the old cap actually fell apart as I was desoldering it from the PCB.  I guess that's an indication that it was bad ;)

awesome work fellas!

In the mid to late 2000's there was a huge issue with caps in computers and power supplies and it looks like they may have had the same suppliers issues ey?

I'll keep this stuck in the way back, because I tend to come across stuff like this often.

Kevin

kasbah said:

IrFolMv.png

Hey Im having some trouble with the Indigo 2 ( Virus C ) where the machine would have random drop outs, displaying all sorts of weird behaviors. Not sure if any one had experience with repairing issues like this?

Basically the machine would just freeze or crash when I'm tweaking parameters while playing the synth. It seems more prone to the freeze up when I'm on the ROM banks C-H. But I'm unable to verify this. Tried contacting the repair center but haven't gotten any response from them of yet.

Would love to try and fix it?! Anyone have schematics of the Virus C, or would be kindly enough to point out directions for further investigation.

Peace!

Latest posts

Back