digital Recorders

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moneypit

okay, i need a digital recorder for proof of what the show actually sounded like...kinda like evidence...here's what's going on....with all the new technology that people DON'T KNOW how to use properly....the band i'm mixing has certain concerns (they are hearing cheap cameras with the mics breaking up and bad cell phone videos) what i want to know is...have any of you guys tried or used any of these new (kind of) digtal recorders? ie; zoom tascam something like that? i just want to go back to them and say this is what it really sounded like....what's your experience with these? how much can they take before the internal mics clip...stuff like that?
                                                                                          Thanks, Frank

Frank,
I use a zoom h4 and it is excellent. I try to never give a copy of the house
Mix to the talent though, as it never does the live vibe justice.
Mac

I agree with Mac.
Never record the mixer's output, it doesn't have the right balance.
Record with mics in the room; the guitar player will then know why you ask him to turn down! The problem is the singer will ask you to turn him up.

have used the h4 and the h4n and both are excellent for the purpose. Have had the same proplem with a band i was mixing for. They were too oblivous to know that the board mix would be totally different from what the audience would hear. So i bought a h4n and that solved the problem.

greetings,

Thomas

Tascam DR-100 here, can do 24/96k.  The Zoom has a lot of followers though. 

+1 on micing the room.  FOH mix will never sound like 'being there'.

Latest posts

Back