PYE Compressor/Limiter Thread *boards shipping* BOM up!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone who's bought the Pye case, had an issue with the meter bezel(47mm) cutout, being too big? The cutouts on my case are 50mm...which leaves a 3mm gap.

I have the hairball 8027-wf 1ma meters.

Cheers and thanks.

...waiting on transformers(David at cinemag is good to deal with, and prices were reasonable), new front panel coming(thanks Dan  :) ), after which I'll place my final order from Mouser. Mouser's shipping is great...takes like 2 days to get here.(canada)

waiting waiting waiting...  :mad:  ;D

---oh yeah!...and inductor's are coming(thanks Bruno :) )

I will be stocking the PCB's along with my cases for this project.  Hopefully I will have the PCB in stock in a few weeks.  Cases are in stock now.  It will be nice to see these and the CLX's back to life!

PCB's are in stock now for these as well.

http://collectivecases.com/?product=ac-sound-pi-3141-vintage-pwm-compressor-circuit-board

Dan,

Just ordered a pair of PCB's.. Case will be getting ordered after the new year.. I love the sound of a PYE comp.. Cant wait to build it.

Eric

I think I will start building one of these soon as well.  I have heard form a number of guys that have finished thier Pye's that it is a pretty easy build and sounds great.  I am gathering all the info from the thread and putting together my info like I normally do for a new project.

Thanks to mdainsd, bruno2000, sr1200, Rob Flinn and a few other guys this should be a nice project to start off the new year.  I may even go for 4 channels of it!

Thanks guys!

I really love my PYEs.  Pretty easy build.  I combined the "input" and "output" controls into one stepped switch, and added a 20dB Neve Class A gain stage with its own output control.  More details to come.
Best,
Bruno2000

the project sounds really interesting.
question for Bruno 2000: Do you sell your custom inductors ?

thanks,
Andreas

Hey guys.

I'm wondering how to wire up the power switch when using bypass(relays). I'm thinking of using a separate power supply for the bypass boards.  When putting the unit in bypass(powering the relays), is it supposed to effectively cut power to the compressor itself? I'm trying to understand how the bypass is supposed to work. If the inputs/outputs are on single pole double throw relays, isn't simply turning the unit off the same as bypass? I always thought bypass just removed the compression....but left the rest of  the circuit in.

desol said:
Hey guys.

I'm wondering how to wire up the power switch when using bypass(relays). I'm thinking of using a separate power supply for the bypass boards.  When putting the unit in bypass(powering the relays), is it supposed to effectively cut power to the compressor itself? I'm trying to understand how the bypass is supposed to work. If the inputs/outputs are on single pole double throw relays, isn't simply turning the unit off the same as bypass? I always thought bypass just removed the compression....but left the rest of  the circuit in.

In mine I used a separate "hotel" power supply to operate the  bypass boards and the lamps.

I used double poll double throw relays, two per channel  The XLR (+ & -) inputs go to the "commons" connections on one relay. The other relays "commons" go to the XLR out (+ & -). The N.C. contacts are wired from one relay to the other, so no power to the relay board connects input to output (bypass). Then or course the N.O. contact are wired to the input and output of the compressor boards.

Hey Mdainsd(..and thx Patrick)

So when you turn the power switch to bypass, it cuts power to the relay boards but the compressor itself remains powered, is that right?(it would seem right, because you would want the needles and lights to remain active in bypass)

Where did u take your shield connection from, for pin 2/6 of the cinemag?

I'd like to get signal working first through the unit before plugging in the oscillator, etc. I do have a scope and sig gen. Do I simply leave out the oscillator plugin to focus on getting the amps working? I'll have a closer look over schematic when I have more time tonight (I'm not great with electronics theory). :-[  :)

Yep, you got it. The bypass switch cuts the power only to the relay boards, the compressor remains on.

I left the chopper transistor out for initial signal runs. But leaving out the oscillator board will accomplish the same thing.

Coming along guys, coming along....

Building my workbench and getting final parts soon. Hope to get some good progress done in the next week or two.
It's been busy last few weeks at work. Yikes...but time permits.

desol said:
Coming along guys, coming along....

Building my workbench and getting final parts soon. Hope to get some good progress done in the next week or two.
It's been busy last few weeks at work. Yikes...but time permits.
Good to hear.  I'd like to build a pair of these but am waiting to hear from a few more people who have navigated this build as I don't  currently have enough spare time to experiment and troubleshoot something that's not well documented. 
Best of luck with yours and thx for updating your progress.

Thanks Bowie.

I'll give the real credit here to Mdainsd and Bruno for really sussing out some of the 'stuff' with this build. These guys are awesome.
I like the way Mdainsd 'measured' his way through the build rather than hoping for the best, per say. That's the best way to do it, imo, if one's capable.

Hello there

I am building the PYE with the AC Sound Pi-3141.
I have a bag of PNP Transistors - 2N1132 and I was wondering if that would be a valuable substitute to the BC560C.
I looked up the specs and they seem very close - the  only big difference in numbers  I see is :

Forward current transfer ratio (hFE), min: 30 for the 2N1132 while the BC560C has Forward current transfer ratio (hFE), min: 420

I apologize for my ignorance but is that a big factor?

In the BOM  each BC560C has a different suggested replacement  depending if they are TR1 or TR10.... and some just don't have any suggestion for substitutes....

Here is the complete datas for the 2N1132:

2N1132 Transistor Datasheet. Parameters and Characteristics.

Type Designator: 2N1132

Material of transistor: Si

Polarity: PNP

Maximum collector power dissipation (Pc), W: 0.6

Maximum collector-base voltage |Ucb|, V: 60

Maximum collector-emitter voltage |Uce|, V: 40

Maximum emitter-base voltage |Ueb|, V: 5

Maximum collector current |Ic max|, A: 0.6

Maksimalna temperatura (Tj), °C: 175

Transition frequency (ft), MHz: 60

Collector capacitance (Cc), pF: 45

Forward current transfer ratio (hFE), min: 30

Noise Figure, dB: -

Package of 2N1132 transistor: TO5

Sage

Layout basically done, switches wired up, waiting on 12v power supply for bypass and meters, sidechain tx's on their way...I'm having fun with this! :) Can't wait to power it up and start feeding a signal through it.

Back