MS, Pultec, 1/2-BA283 boards support thread!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gareth33 said:
Whoops said:
ravachol said:
Does anyone have the original docs for this project? I think a few people hanging on it could need some outside opinions.

Right on!

Please, would be possible if someone helps with the docs for this project?

thank you so much

If you PM me your email address I can send over everything I have, I think its pretty much everything.

As a bump, if anyone has a spare Igor BA283 board I would love to buy one! Thanks

Hi Gareth33,

I am also looking for these docs - it would be much appreciated if you could please help me out wit these too, I have sent you a PM

Thanks,

Hi everyone

Here is a link to download the files I have.  They are typically rather vague and abstract so we might have to pool resources to make sense of them. It seems I'm missing the file entitled 'Nevtec detailed wiring' which I swore I had, but is probably quite important. If anyone has that file maybe send it to me so I can upload it.

I'm considering a not for profit run of these PCB's if I can copy them, I'm short a BA-283 so have to make one of those anyway. I've not done this before, the main thing I am unsure of is if there are hidden, or other layers, to the PCB, or if it is simply a case of copying what is visible track side to Eagle software.

Link:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/unq72ulk3cjqfk6/AAAjPAQrZXHlGYgOYXzVv3mGa?dl=0

Regards, Gareth

gareth33 said:
Hi everyone

Here is a link to download the files I have.  They are typically rather vague and abstract so we might have to pool resources to make sense of them. It seems I'm missing the file entitled 'Nevtec detailed wiring' which I swore I had, but is probably quite important. If anyone has that file maybe send it to me so I can upload it.

I'm considering a not for profit run of these PCB's if I can copy them, I'm short a BA-283 so have to make one of those anyway. I've not done this before, the main thing I am unsure of is if there are hidden, or other layers, to the PCB, or if it is simply a case of copying what is visible track side to Eagle software.

Link:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/unq72ulk3cjqfk6/AAAjPAQrZXHlGYgOYXzVv3mGa?dl=0

Regards, Gareth

Hi Gareth,
if you do a run of these PCB's I would be interested in buying sets for 2 units.

I searched in my HD and found some docs I also had for this project,
I put them in dropbox here's the link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/eewm69zfuuzz4a4/Pultec%20-%20MS%20Neve%20-%20Igor.zip?dl=0

thanks

Thanks for these guys!

after trawling the thread again I found this, which I think might help for the wiring,

http://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=43413.msg616295#msg616295

I think it has been edited to reflect the wiring for Carnhill transformers..... but the wiring for the output transformers looks different comparing the numbers with igors build pics :/

I PM'd ilfungo, who I see provided a megaupload link to the docs a while back - which unfortunately no longer works, so hopefully he will come back to us with them

Otherwise, it would be a great help if anyone could provide us with a complete set of documents.... pretty please!

Thanks,

A friend that finished this project sent me all the documents,
here they are:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2akl3p8o5bsc7m8/MS%20Pultec%20Neve%20-%20Docs.zip?dl=0

Great stuff Whoops, thanks!

I'm currently working at learning Eagle and interpreting and understanding the schems, as I said I am short one BA283 board, but will keep going and try and rework all the boards after that.

gareth33 said:
Great stuff Whoops, thanks!

I'm currently working at learning Eagle and interpreting and understanding the schems, as I said I am short one BA283 board, but will keep going and try and rework all the boards after that.

Hi Gareth,
do you need any help on the BA283 board?

I think I have a PCB layout for that for home etch, it's quite an easy board to home etch. As it's only one side, large traces and simple circuit.

Thanks Whoops

Yeh I'd like to see the files, that would be cool.

I'm treating this as an opportunity to learn Eagle and to learn more about the circuitry, picking it part from the beginning.

Regards, Gareth

gareth33 said:
Thanks Whoops

Yeh I'd like to see the files, that would be cool.

I'm treating this as an opportunity to learn Eagle and to learn more about the circuitry, picking it part from the beginning.

Regards, Gareth

Thats really cool, Im also learning Eagle myself and basic PCB layout. Still have a long way to go.

Send me a PM with your email and I will send you the BA283 docs I have.

Happy to see this nice thread still alive .....  :D

and about have a question  for a part
please check attached image

thanks in advance
R.

Attachments

• POLY-CAP-283.jpg
    POLY-CAP-283.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 96
Whoops said:
r2d2 said:
Happy to see this nice thread still alive .....  :D

and about have a question  for a part
please check attached image

thanks in advance
R.

Should be Polystyrene.

...hmmm ....
Polystyrene. ...Should be..

also another difference from original
(check image)

R.

Attachments

• 1073-OUT-TRANSF-RES.jpg
    1073-OUT-TRANSF-RES.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 40
woooah!! is Igor back?!?!?!? or maybe some nice bloke is etching this nice project?!?!?! :D

all the best!

after all the years now i am on the final round with this eq.
I did the i/o setup(connections from xlr to ms board like in igors first build, he has hardwired pin 3 to chassis on ins and outs,
using only connections pin 2 and one.)
now when i think again, the inputs should not be pin 3 to chassis, only outputs?
so i would be better using three cables from input xlr to ms board and cut the connection pin 3/chassis on the inputs, while using only pin 1 and 2 connection on the output side, having pin3 grounded to chassis ?
or is all this established on igors board ?
in the second build(cannot boot the pictures from igors old side)
he used all three connetions from xlr in and out to the matrix board. now i am confused.
please enlight me somebody again !
greets
axel

so after all the years i fired up tonight and i had some good and some bad experience.. the stereo or right channel sounds sweet and everything is like i hoped. inc. the sound..! .but the left channel is not working.

what gives me some hope is that in m/s mode stereo i can hear the stereo sound on both channels in  but mono (or left channel in normal mode )is quit as death..:(

so there is sound  getting to both outs what makes me believe the audio stages are ok but maybe the fault is on the m/s board ?

Honestly. i have no clue how this m/s board is working so please , if somebody might have a idea where begin to search
for this error.

i stupidly hardwired all connections so repairing will get pure hell  ::)

I had built the Pultec for a friend a little 'time ago ..
I noticed a strange problem that I can not fix ...
IN LR everything works very well and is very quiet, in M / S have a strange noise, as if it lacked the earth ...
I tried everything, but I do not understand what could be ...
In M/S the level go down of 6db ( I think is normal?) and the noise only in M section go up of 10 db...
Any thoughts?

finished !
i screwed up the i/o to/from eq board....
also i was remembered to check connections again even after testing them.. i broke a cable while binding to strong whith a cable binder :eek:

my unit is made with ea input and sowter output iron, every part is stereo matched to less than 1 percent but the lytics, i also matched all the eq caps to better than 2% variance....got cheap some nice r-core trunnys from hongkong for power.
i took mundorf caps for the bass section, i got their lowpriced range for 1- 2 euro each and they were all perfectly on spot .
i also added a second psu which is driven by the second primary of the power transformer for the relays and led lighting
(power trafo was a little oversized so i thought about adding a separate psu)
just had a run yesterday but i am very pleased, the bass is something special as i hoped from this configuration !
i might have to check the high freq roll of, the highs seemed a bit low..
but maybe that was because i drove the mighty bass to far ! 8)
now i have 6 pulteq channels together with my beloved eqp1s5   

..but this one took me 10 *more time than diying the four eqp1s5....
happy ending !

Axelerator said:
finished !
i screwed up the i/o to/from eq board....
also i was remembered to check connections again even after testing them.. i broke a cable while binding to strong whith a cable binder :eek:

my unit is made with ea input and sowter output iron, every part is stereo matched to less than 1 percent but the lytics, i also matched all the eq caps to better than 2% variance....got cheap some nice r-core trunnys from hongkong for power.
i took mundorf caps for the bass section, i got their lowpriced range for 1- 2 euro each and they were all perfectly on spot .
i also added a second psu which is driven by the second primary of the power transformer for the relays and led lighting
(power trafo was a little oversized so i thought about adding a separate psu)
just had a run yesterday but i am very pleased, the bass is something special as i hoped from this configuration !
i might have to check the high freq roll of, the highs seemed a bit low..
but maybe that was because i drove the mighty bass to far ! 8)
now i have 6 pulteq channels together with my beloved eqp1s5   

..but this one took me 10 *more time than diying the four eqp1s5....
happy ending !

Wow, excellent Axelerator! Do you have any pictures? How is the unit running now?

Gareth

Latest posts

Back