Fader lube

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yea i was advised a few times of what 'not' to use.. I'm still not sure of the best option with faders.
distilled water?, doest that mean open up the console then get into each fader? or is there a technique/tool i'm missing?
dont think i can get into the ones on my mixer without desoldering.

Yes, I know about some cleaning procedures and applying grease/oil on the tracks
seems to  be something to avoid. Not to speak of cleaner/contact sprays witch tend to
mess up faders/pots more than claean them....

My question was about what lube to use for the moving parts of the fader exept for the brushes.
Some of the faders Im cleaning are so full of gunk that Ill have to clean out everything inclusive the
old lube/grease. Im simply looking for a similar product to get back the smooth action.

@kebep: Im talking about dissasemble the fader for cleaning, no way around opening the mixer!  ;)

Sredna said:
the moving parts of the fader exept for the brushes.

You can try Vaseline but my guess is that it's actually a high melting point, high quality grease, which will be expensive.
Check out this post on GS

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/geekslutz-forum/588192-newgate-small-volume-speciality-chemicals-lubricants.html

Furthermore, conductive metal parts should be cleaned with alcohol/deoxit.
Carbon parts with water and soap. Greasy/ oily products make the carbon tracks weak...

+1 here for Distilled water with a cotton swab.
Yes you need to have access to each and every fader. Most Alps faders you can clean by just prodding the cotton swab in them, but P&G you need to open them.
Be extremely careful with the wipers, they are fragile.
I used to clean very dirty faders with soap in distilled water, then rinse with water and lube with vaseline, then blow dry. Be careful, it's only the slides that need to be lubed, not the track! Lubing the track is a good receipe for dirt accumulating on it.

Thanks for the answers!

I already tried using silicon oil on normal ALPS faders but it's to light so I think Ill go with vaseline.

The P&Gs I have are older models without the guiding rod and with silicon oil they are getting too
"fast", Im looking for a more "dampened" feel.

what a coincidence,
i'm actually cleaning the ALPS faders on my M3500,
i had pretty good experience with CAIG deoxit D100 for switches and pots
and was planning to use their faderlube F100S
wich seems to work fine with carbon fader tracks,
according to their guide :
https://system.netsuite.com/core/media/media.nl?id=881&c=ACCT113328&h=eae6764a200575e713ca&_xt=.pdf&ck=WjYncwZ6AV88dk-Z&vid=WjYncwZ6ATI8dh6p&cktime=96656&cart=556922
do you guys it's better to clean carbon tracks with distilled water ,
or distilled water and soap, rather than use the CAIG products ?
regards,
francois

Back