CLX-VU Build Thread (DBX 160VU ) UPDATE: REV 3

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi everybody

I'm going to build a pair of CLX-VU Rev 3, is there an updated mouser for those little beasts ? I've found some but many parts are obsolete...

Best regards !

Another question : would Mullard C280, Philips C368 (both Polyester Film Capacitors) and Philips MKT368 (Metallized Polyester Film Capacitor) vintage capacitors fit for the build of the CLX-VU, instead of the big red capacitors that were in the CLX kit ?

Thanks for your answers !

Hi! i see it today that Clx-Vu pcbs are in pre-order!

http://store.acsoundstudio.com/pcb/ac-sound-clxvu-compressor-pcb.html

i'm going to buy a pair :)

Yeah! Seems Abe may be coming back. But let's see...

I got an email from acsoundstudio few days ago. They are selling CLX in promo price.
I replied saying something like "how can we be sure you're going to ship it if you're off the radar for so long".
And surprisingly I got reply few minutes after. He said he had some real-life issues and that he's slowly getting back into his diy business with the help of his brother and that everything is going to be all right.
My reply was "good luck and please stop by on groupdiy to help with some projects, especially Pye compressor"
I gambled - maybe I'm stupid - but I ordered one CLX board.
We shall see...
It still concerns me that I went to check if abechap user recently logged in on this forum and he didn't. Last active was in 2014.
Maybe I've lost my 25 bucks...
I'll keep you posted!

Hello folks!! :)

I ordered 2 boards from Abe before learning of the trouble.  Today I received an email from Jacob saying they'd been ordered from the fab so hoping they turn up!  I also got a set from Collective Cases on the way, so I'll probably end up building one with THAT VCA's and one with the DBX cans, looking around for a unit to source the DBX cans from now.

This is actually my first build, a little confused by the BOM about which resistors to order.  Any pointers would be greatly appreciated :)

thank you,

bungle said:
This is actually my first build, a little confused by the BOM about which resistors to order.  Any pointers would be greatly appreciated :)

thank you,

Most builds use metal film 0.25W resistors as default. When needed, BOM will note that certain resistors should be higher wattage. But considering today prices, you can easily buy all resistors in 0.6w metal film, since they are almost same price as 0.25w ones.

WTF?!?!

I also received the mail from Abe some days ago...

I am still waiting for my PCBs and parts. Now for almost for two years now!
He has taken all my money and till now I got nothing from him!

Please beware of this criminal guy! Do not order from his store!
There is no excuse for what he did to a lot of customers in 2014!

edit: It was about 200$ he has stolen from me. And the other parts I can't use that I ordered two are not included!

I built one of these a couple of years back and it's been great for guitars.  I've ordered some more boards and it's great to see that they are on their way to a rather wet and cold UK. Another project to get started then, after I have ironed out the glitches on my EQ.

Cheers

Steve

Hello
I finished my stereo unit and have questions

My meters in Input mode  going below 20db(look like a lot negative voltage coming)
I  adjusted it to 20db with r124 and after this i can't adjust 0db in GR mode.
How is yours units work in Input and GR mode?

Can i calibrate Meter for 20db Gain Reduction scale? 40db to much

Hello,

I am in the process of building two and I am almost finished. I am waiting for some ICs, but I could fire up one board already to check if everything is ok. But I have a question:

Now, my 24V rail is about 29V, which is acceptable as I read somewhere in this thread (and cannot be trimmed down like the +/-15V rails?). But then while checking the power pins of the IC sockets I found that the LM301 in the output section receives about +23V/-23V. I haven't inserted this IC yet, because the datasheets of those LM301 variants I could find state that the maximum input voltage was +/- 22V. Schematics show that this IC is powered by the +/-24V rails (which is higher my case). Should I increase R85 and R95 (both 2.2k, they are the resistors between the power rails and the IC) a bit to make sure the LM301 doesn't get more voltage than it can handle? Or is there a variant of LM301 which can deal with higher supply voltage?

I hope someone could shed a light. Also, my first post on this forum  8)

I pre-ordered two CLX-vu PCBs from AC Sound a few months ago, and they turned up safe and sound in the post last week.  I have a couple of the PI boards on pre-order too, so I'll report what happens there.  I've also had a few helpful email responses from Abe.

Hi everybody !

I've ordered the CLX PCBs, I'v received them very fast.
Then I order the CLX parts kit, a pair of PIE PCBs and kits, and a few stuff.
I've still received nothing !
Now there's no answer to my mails or Facebook coments and nobody answer on phone.

Hopefully I've paid thru Paypal, so I'll ask for refund a few days before limit, but it's sad...

I think the PIE PCBs are probably still being manufactured, since the pre-order only finished recently.  That's probably why you haven't received them yet.  You may have to wait a few weeks, or even months.  This is single-person operated amateur DIY, where things often take weeks or months, not a high volume commercial multinational company with dozens of employees where you might get overnight delivery and an instant response to your emails (I realise Abe's site might lead you to think otherwise, but unfortunately that's the way it is...)

If you do need a PIE compressor quickly then my best advice is to buy a pre-built commercial one (with a commercial price markup!)

I too am waiting for a set of PIE boards.  I'm sure they'll turn up eventually.  My CLX PCBs took a few months from pre-order to delivery and there was no problem there.  I guess they're in stock now, which is probably why yours arrived so fast.

And if you are not in the US, then there is also the international mail thing which just adds time to everything.  It is not uncommon to wait 2-8 weeks depending on which sets of organizations you are dealing with.
Patrick

Hello to all supporting this builds, this is a fantastic unit
i recently managed to finish mine and it sounds pretty darn good, i managed to calibrate the RMS unit with no problems.
I have an issue with the CLX160 build and i was wondering is anyone here had the same problem as mine.

After trying to calibrate the VU meters for a stereo unit and by the test procedure this should be fine, but after i stopped the OSC input the above led lights up and the vu slams in to +20.  i found out that the output for the VUmeter are going negative as well and something weird is happening, it goes down to -40 at 0V then it should be half way. the R124 trimmer has two "0" points, one at +0,7V and one at -0.7V, this is with R109 lifted.
I used the CLX calibration notes and referred to the original, 160/161 manual for this issue,

the Above and Below leds dont behave as should, only the GR mode on the VUmeters seems to stay in margins
all wirings are good double checked those, all OPAMPS are good.
the thing is both units have the same problem
Meters are 1mA, i tested other VUmeters, same deal

i started retracing all components on one board and all values to match the (T) mark and values

i used CA3083 HARRIS and THAT2180 for VCA

thanks

Attachments

• IMG_4594.JPG
    IMG_4594.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 97
Hi All,

I was trying to stay positive while waiting for my V3 CLX-VU parts kit to arrive but with no replies from Abe and the AC Sound website now out of commission I am having to face the reality that my parts kit (which I already paid for) is not going to show up.  If anyone has any info suggesting otherwise please let me know.

In the meantime, I was hoping to start ordering parts myself but I can't seem to find any working links to the 'Rev 3 Manual' or any AC Sound documents online.  Does anyone happen to have a copy they could share with me?  Any help is greatly appreciated!

Latest posts

Back