Neumann Km74/sennheiser mzn16t psu problem

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
An obvious first is what shape are the caps in?

Have you loaded the PS with a dummy load and check it with a scope or meter to see if it's actually the PS?

Hi Bob,
psu is freshly recapped, I tested the voltages going out and they are around 11,5 so it's ok I think.
Unfortunately I don't have a dummy load, what could I do instead?
Thanks!!

Just use a resistor to simulate the load the mic presents. You could use anything somewhat close to this value if you're just testing to see if there's ripple/noise.

Just made the test and seems ok.
Maybe mzn16t design is too much different from the neumann n9i?
I would have to mod the mzn16t to make it work with km74?...
Help!

Oh, I didn't realize it was not the original. Basically if it provides the same voltage and can meet or exceed the mic's current needs you should be fine. The Neumann board would be a good place to ask about this.

Attachments

• mzn16t.jpg
    mzn16t.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 9
C9, 10 are pretty small values to be too effective at filtering, I don't see that they'd be the source of a problem like you're describing.

How much have you looked at the mic? If you're getting no noise at the PS with a dummy load it would seem that it is working properly.

By now you must have found out that C11 and C12 (100uV/16V) are essential in the Sennheiser MZN 16-T(U) for their proper operation. C9 and C10 are not, and may actually be bridged with short circuits.

Back