How Racking "Oldies" Neve , Telefunken - etc.. (not found in meta)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r2d2

Hello
(hoping not to be misunderstood)

Start this new trhead about :
How Racking "Oldies" Neve , Telefunken , Neumann ,  etc..

as a proposal to group much information as possible ,
required for a correct "racking" of old / vintage "equipment"
(sometimes useful for the new...)
like Neve , Telefunken , Neumann , , etc...

* - Mainly concerning the electronic and electrical (side)
like :
Psu (right "dimension" and power), "power" ground , "signal" ground , xlr pin 1 , chassis star ground ,
ground loops , vintage multiway connectors maps , etc...

* -Secondarily for the "metal work" (side)
like : rack box type , tips , solutions , part sources ,etc...

Any Useful post , link , scheme , image , etc..

is wellcome .
Thanks to all those who give their contribution .

Peace.

I wish pro people had more attention to basic topics like this.
Ptownkid, have you found out more information to complete your thread.
I'm looking for the same answers...
thanks

This is closest to what you want, kind of Japanese Neve . Don't think there are many step by step instructions for every part like racking, grounding, replacing parts, this might be one of best descriptions with pics which shows what it takes to rack it...:
http://www.fivefish.net/diy/PM1000/default.asp
Modules from mixers can be quite hard to rack and run properly. There is a lot of needed metalwork and knowledge about grounding, powering, bypassing unneded parts like routing, etc. Smaller modules like summing and line amps are easier to finish if used for their intended purpose. Old tube gear can be even harder to rack because it is often not so well supported, or even known as is solid state. Just open something like V72 to get it running with phantom/adding controls, you will know what i'm talking about.
It is often easier to start from scratch, using pcb like 1290 and similar sold here.  JLM sells gain switch and one of the modules to turn 1272 into proper 1290 preamp (1073 without EQ). Both options are well documented/supported  and not that hard to build.
Don't forget other members, Ian Bell (Ruffrecords) has some beginner "poor man's" projects which are very nice sounding and pretty easy to do, there is Bo Hansen's DI, PRR's varimu compressor, Hamptone HJFP... I find all of them very good learning experience, with a lot of documentation and support. Things like power supplies are well explained, from time to time i still look at Ian's doc sections about his tube mixers, there are so many hints about many things.
I think people who ask basic questions about power supplies, grounding and similar things better buy pcbs for well documented projects and go from there, beside reading posts where it is covered. Diy isn't about making something for less than mass produced gear, it is a hobby and sometimes "side profession". So simple projects like DIs, power supplies, simple line drivers/receivers seem more logic, building and understanding them first is the way to go IMO.
Preamps can be quite demanding even for more advanced diyers, racking even more so and don't forget that a scope and signal generator are needed for this kind of things, as are many other tools for metalwork which is also quite demanding.
We already covered all this questions in great detail, search posts for each topic you want to understand. This is like a homework, you have to diy :)

P.S.: Forgot to mention Gyraf with classic schematics and great descriptions which help a lot for all sort of things. EMRR also posted lots of invaluable information, pictures of racking, measurements, CJ has done transformer dissections with instructions for winding them. It is all here.

Back