What would you do?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simonsez

What would you do if you have 100 tracks with very weak  signal level? Just process it with audio suite gain? or run through preamp then record it to new track?

-Simon-

You mean ITB? yeah...loud and s***t.. ;D...I think i have a session that recorded to mix ITB later, they recorded it at very low level to avoid overloud DAW master fader...If only a few track i would run it to analog pre and record it back, but....100 tracks? :mad: :mad:.

Just mix it and bump the overall level on the master at the end using a limiter like the L2.  There's no advantage to bringing up the gain before you mix.

simonsez said:
You mean ITB? yeah...loud and s***t.. ;D...I think i have a session that recorded to mix ITB later, they recorded it at very low level to avoid overloud DAW master fader...If only a few track i would run it to analog pre and record it back, but....100 tracks? :mad: :mad:.

yeah ITB. or f**k mix it on an SSL and crank all the line trims. then Compress every track and then compress the stereo buss because we all want loud and square wave forms.  Then send it to a mastering dickhead who will compress it even more to the point that if you look at it, it looks like a solid line... urgh...

on a more serious note
ruairioflaherty said:
Just mix it and bump the overall level on the master at the end using a limiter like the L2.  There's no advantage to bringing up the gain before you mix.

exactly. Just mix the tracks as necessary. then if necessary add gain on the stereo master.

Haha...yeah, i know...client would happy too...apply L2, they don't care about digital or analog processing. But i do care...and decided doing multi bus processing with a few compressor and preamp that i made, i hope the noise doesn't too high. I have bad feeling about make up gain digitally(does it?). What i dont understand is why they recorded it so weak?  it's so weak, i can't see the wave at the track region untill i zoom it.  ;D

Do you guys doing mix ITB?

simonsez said:
Do you guys doing mix ITB?

not by choice. actully weak levels in digital is o.k. as there  really is not any major noise. With tape low signals equate to much tape noise. Plus in most digital systems 0Vu = -18Dbfs. You will usually not see any major signal at that level without zooming in but in still is 0Vu

Don't worry about what it looks like!  What does it sound like???

Yes I mix in the box in Pro Tools, and insert some analogue outboard when I need it.  Using preamps for colour can introduce noise, I haven't had any luck with it, it's more a Gearslutz notion than anything else..

Digital gain is not a problem, I'd happily boost a mix using an L2 or another good plug if it needs it.  Will the tracks be getting mastered?

You haven't told us the whole story!

How quiet is quiet, and did you record at 24 bit resolution?
And is it destined for 16 bit CD or MP3?

If so, you should have no real problems, even if the tracks seem rather quiet.

It's look like this, btw the sound is pretty good...

Screenshot2011-04-16at52150AM.png

The bottom track (red) was re-recorded through my LA2A.

And yes, i bounce/record to new track at 24bit 48khz, and it will getting mastered to CD, and....ring back s**t 8bit mono files :mad: :mad:

I'ts done, if u don't mind, i want to hear any opinion from you guys. I never heard comment from the expert...about specturm balance, dynamic, level, etc...etc...any suggestion are welcome.. (sorry MP3). This done with all diy gear, except ADDA and speaker monitor.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/kfydn8b1baozixt/mixonly.mp3

-Simon-

ruairioflaherty said:
Don't worry about what it looks like!  What does it sound like???

Yes I mix in the box in Pro Tools, and insert some analogue outboard when I need it.  Using preamps for colour can introduce noise, I haven't had any luck with it, it's more a Gearslutz notion than anything else..

Digital gain is not a problem, I'd happily boost a mix using an L2 or another good plug if it needs it.  Will the tracks be getting mastered?

A few years ago i'm pretty happy with mix ITB, untill i play with analog gears, and i don't think i'm happy anymore with mix ITB. IMHO It's lack of freshness (?)..

simonsez said:
And yes, i bounce/record to new track at 24bit 48khz, and it will getting mastered to CD, and....ring back s**t 8bit mono files :mad: :mad:

Only thing that matters is if it was originally recorded at 16 or 24bit. Bouncing 16bit recordings to 24bit want help in anyway, just makes the project heavier.

I would keep them at origial bit depht and maybe put a trim plugin to every track so I can use faders nearer to 0db with better resolution.

pasarski said:
Only thing that matters is if it was originally recorded at 16 or 24bit. Bouncing 16bit recordings to 24bit want help in anyway, just makes the project heavier.

I would keep them at origial bit depht and maybe put a trim plugin to every track so I can use faders nearer to 0db with better resolution.

The data was 24bit/48khz, and i always mix that way. I heard the benefit of up sampling is that plugins works better. Do you know what different between adding trim plugins and just bring up the faders above unity? or using plugins makeup gain?

pucho812 said:
I usually work 88.2/24 that way when I down sample to 44.1 it's an even number of samples pulled.

Pucho, that's one thing i don't really understand. Why we need to down sampling? As far i know in the mastering process (analog), they're record to CD real time (sonic solution), so why i must down sampling to 44.1? It's nice to work at high sample rate, but my hard drive is not happy...i usually receives more than 96 track session. :-[

well it is true they do burn in real time, one speed cd burning but sonic solutions and any other mastering daw that is used still has to deal with laws of digital audio. if there was no SRC, sample rate conversion when they import the audio files to assemble the pmcd then the audio would be out of pitch and play faster or slow depending on which rate your going to and from.

more then 96 tracks? are you mixing for film? track comping is your friend.

pucho812 said:
more then 96 tracks? are you mixing for film? track comping is your friend.

Not for movie,
gitar track=2 mic +1 DI/take (Left right, lead gtr, fills), 12 drums track, 3 bass track, 2 mic+1 DI for Acc gtr (LR +fills)), strings about 8 track, lead voc, double, triple...LR...harmony vocal, keyboards,piano.. etc....etc...  ;D ;D ;D ;D happy noise party...

Regarding your picture, you have actually "zoomed out" vertically on all tracks but the red one. See the little rulers to the left of the audio files? Makes it look even worse than it is.

Cheers,

Johan

Latest posts

Back