AKG 414 EB

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

etiefenthaler

after hours of search on this forum - unfortunately with no success  I try to ask here:

Does anybody can recommend a electronic diy kit (pcb + electronic parts)  for akg 414 eb or better akg c12?

my intension: have two teflon c12 capsules laying around and would like to give them a housing. Sound should be like 414 eb p48

thanks for help

would this be on any help?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AKG-C-12-b-C-412-C-414-tube-mic-HEAD-GRILL-no-capsule-/110685628730?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19c560a93a#ht_572wt_1078

although I would love to see a kit too...

i kinda looked at that for a second.
we have a couple of those here (in much better shape).

it looks like the first version after the C12a.
but with the connector replaced or refitted with an xlr

important parts for my needs are not there, but it would make
a good place to hang a capsule.

Why would you need a kit?  The schematics can be found on the web.

hi,
thanks for reading my post.
I found the schematics of 414 EB on the akg page. http://www.akg.com/mediendatenbank2/psfile/datei/57/c414eb43d89ac4d79f7.pdf
Could this be done by point to point wiring?
What coil and transformer would you use?
The part list is on the link pdf.  but i cannot figure out the types of  the electronical parts. i.e. transistors, condensers, etc.

I am not an electronics engineer. I do  only know where's the hot end of the soldering rod and can read a multimeter.
In electronics unfortunately I have to paint by numbers.

Maybe here is somebody skilled who can write a complete partlist of electronic components.

erich

Erich,

I don't like to be the negative guy but

- Those Teflon "Ck12" capsules really aren't great, I've owned and used many mics with them onboard
- An AKG 414 is a complex circuit, fiddly to build and repair. It might be possible to but it would be very tedious to DIY this project.
- There is no support for this project.  If you are determined to build a mic do a search here for Gyraf G7 or IO Audio's MK7 or MK47

If you really must have that 414 sound I've got an B-ULS that I'll sell you, they can be bought any day of the week for $500 and for that money they are a useful mic to have knocking around.

Good luck.

I think people hate those "teflon" capsules just because they don't sound anything like the old "brass" capsules.

I quite like the "teflons" (the linear version, that is) for what the C414 is really supposed to be: a utilty mic. It's not a magic bullet type of mic but a do-it-all mic. No, they don't have any special voodoo or mojo, but you'd be hard pressed for an application where they really suck.

Practical suggestions:
If you only need the cardioid setting, you could use the Oktava MK 012 circuit. It's a simple yet good sounding circuit, and it will do without a dc/dc converter for cardioid (and omni, if you want). Other patterns would require either a dc/dc converter (see C414 EB, the silver one) or intricate switching (see C414 EB P48, the black one).

You could buy an inexpensive multipattern mic with decent electronics and swap the capsule. My suggestions would be a Rode NT2-A or NT2000 or a Studio Projects B3.

I wouldn't go tube. I've tried a C12 "teflon", linear version, with a tube circuit, and it didn't thrill me. That's because the capsule istn't meant to thrill. So I think the "teflon" capsule, at least in the linear version, and a tube circit (which is meant to thrill) is a mismatch. May be different if you have the other "teflon" version with a treble boost as used in the C414 XL II and C12 VR.

Rossi said:
I think people hate those "teflon" capsules just because they don't sound anything like the old "brass" capsules.

I quite like the "teflons" (the linear version, that is) for what the C414 is really supposed to be: a utilty mic. It's not a magic bullet type of mic but a do-it-all mic. No, they don't have any special voodoo or mojo, but you'd be hard pressed for an application where they really suck.

Practical suggestions:
If you only need the cardioid setting, you could use the Oktava MK 012 circuit. It's a simple yet good sounding circuit, and it will do without a dc/dc converter for cardioid (and omni, if you want). Other patterns would require either a dc/dc converter (see C414 EB, the silver one) or intricate switching (see C414 EB P48, the black one).

You could buy an inexpensive multipattern mic with decent electronics and swap the capsule. My suggestions would be a Rode NT2-A or NT2000 or a Studio Projects B3.

I wouldn't go tube. I've tried a C12 "teflon", linear version, with a tube circuit, and it didn't thrill me. That's because the capsule istn't meant to thrill. So I think the "teflon" capsule, at least in the linear version, and a tube circit (which is meant to thrill) is a mismatch. May be different if you have the other "teflon" version with a treble boost as used in the C414 XL II and C12 VR.

My comments on the teflon capsule come not from Gearslutz type chatter but rather long experience.  At one point my brother and I owned 6 mics in our studio with that capsule, 4 x C414 and 2 x C12VR.  I think 414s are very useful and somewhat underrated but I would not spend time building a DIY mic around this capsule, especially for a beginner as in the original post.

If I wanted to start a DIY project I'd look at Tim Campbell's capsule as a basis. I've often wondered about building a nice solid state mic around Tim's capsule but I've too many projects on the go and I'm selling off mics rather than buying/building!

Cheers,
Ruairi

I didn't mean to imply that you're just repeating Gearslutz hearsay. In fact I do understand the somewhat unenthusiastic response to C414 mics to a degree. They are not exiting in a way that a good U47 blows you away. But they do get the job done and they're versatile. I know a fairly well known Austrian producer who has a big Neve console (albeit a digital one). His mic collection, however, comprises little more than a few C414s. And while I love a good mic selection, I have to say that his productions sound very good.

I agree the C414s are very useful mics to have around. I have a C414 EB P48 which I use now and then and a C422 (the stereo version) which I use quite often. The linear "teflon" C12 is pretty good for stereo miking, better than most other LD capsules.

I also have a Tim Campbell CT12, and of course that's a completely different animal. I designed a FET circuit for it, but I think I will go for tube on that one. The mic's in parts right now anyway. It is primarily a singer's capsule and I think a smooth tube circuit will do it more justice than a clean FET circuit.

Hi,

414s of all types are not on my agenda, unless there is nothing else, and then they are ok. Quite good on acoustics, and occasionally quite good on a vocal, but often hopeless on a vocal. If the singer is prone to sibilance, 414 is your worst enemy.

I used to use C12a a lot, and even a 412 which was very nice.

JUst my opinion,

ANdyP

strangeandbouncy said:
If the singer is prone to sibilance, 414 is your worst enemy.

I've had a similar experience, but I've also heard fantastic vocals captured with a 414.

Erich,
Since there's not a kit for this, you will have to either design your own PCB or built the circuit point-to-point on perfboard or similar.
If you have never done this before, this particular mic will be a challenge. You may want to start with something simpler...KM-84 or some of the Octava or Shoeps circuits you can readily find around here and via Google images.
I don't mean to discourage, I'm just giving my advice which may only be worth what you paid for it...

Rossi said:
I didn't mean to imply that you're just repeating Gearslutz hearsay. In fact I do understand the somewhat unenthusiastic response to C414 mics to a degree. They are not exiting in a way that a good U47 blows you away. But they do get the job done and they're versatile. I know a fairly well known Austrian producer who has a big Neve console (albeit a digital one). His mic collection, however, comprises little more than a few C414s. And while I love a good mic selection, I have to say that his productions sound very good.

I agree the C414s are very useful mics to have around. I have a C414 EB P48 which I use now and then and a C422 (the stereo version) which I use quite often. The linear "teflon" C12 is pretty good for stereo miking, better than most other LD capsules.

I also have a Tim Campbell CT12, and of course that's a completely different animal. I designed a FET circuit for it, but I think I will go for tube on that one. The mic's in parts right now anyway. It is primarily a singer's capsule and I think a smooth tube circuit will do it more justice than a clean FET circuit.

I hear you Rossi. I've done tons of good work with 414s and still have one. I actually have an AKG C422 which I bought a while back but I've head very little opportunity to use it with my recent move.  The tests I did sounded very nice though but that mic will be sold along with the rest of my mini collection shortly (if anyone is looking for an Neumann KM86 or two, an AKG D24, a C414, an AKG422 or maybe even a very fine U67....these are not firesale so no mega deals!).

Ultimately my point I guess is that a DIY 414 is a big uphill struggle for a newbie and I'm not sure the capsule would reward all of that effort when a perfectly serviceable 414 can be had for $500.

Cheers,
Ruairi

I agree with those who say 414 EB isn't a newbie project.

The 414 is my favourite LD mike.  The teflons are very accurate (by LD mike standards) and the latest FET versions are some of the quietest mikes around. It is best at recording big classical where it is the main pickup but is also useful as a spot mike in these situations. Use other mikes if you want your girlfriend to sound like Linda Ronstadt.

However, if you REALLY want a C12 circuit, the Debenham, Robinson & Stebbings DIY mike is a good attempt to copy it.  Bernhard Wiengartner, who designed the C12 for AKG, had nice things to say about it.  I have this from Clem Beaumont who was my mike mentor at Calrec.  He built a DRS and used to show his efforts to Bernhardt when he came to the UK for the HiFi shows in da old days. This was a key factor in the founding of Calrec and hence my later involvement with mikes.

But don't attempt a DRS circuit unless you have some experience building tube circuits.

ricardo said:
The 414 is my favourite LD mike.  The teflons are very accurate (by LD mike standards) and the latest FET versions are some of the quietest mikes around. It is best at recording big classical where it is the main pickup but is also useful as a spot mike in these situations. Use other mikes if you want your girlfriend to sound like Linda Ronstadt.

We'll have to disagree on that one!  While the newer 414s are quiet they are pretty awful sounding mics to my ear. 

However, if you REALLY want a C12 circuit, the Debenham, Robinson & Stebbings DIY mike is a good attempt to copy it.  Bernhard Wiengartner, who designed the C12 for AKG, had nice things to say about it.  I have this from Clem Beaumont who was my mike mentor at Calrec.  He built a DRS and used to show his efforts to Bernhardt when he came to the UK for the HiFi shows in da old days. This was a key factor in the founding of Calrec and hence my later involvement with mikes.

But don't attempt a DRS circuit unless you have some experience building tube circuits.

I'd never heard of this project before!  A quick google turned up some links but if you have any to share I'm sure it would be appreciated by the mic fanatics here.

ruairioflaherty said:
We'll have to disagree on that one!
Wow! Do you mean a new 414 makes your girlfriend sound like Linda Ronstadt?  :eek:

I'd never heard of this project before!  A quick google turned up some links but if you have any to share I'm sure it would be appreciated by the mic fanatics here.
http://www.sdiy.org/oid/ldc/Debenham-StereoCondenser.pdf
I think all links are of this old scan.  Best & most detailed of the old DIY mike articles.  Good explanation of how dual diaphragm variable pattern mikes work so useful to understand more complicated versions, eg 414, Rode NT2000, SM69.  DRS, though old fashioned, will work just as well as these others.  The tube circuit is good without Unobtainium parts.

I know 3 people who have built this capsule/mike.  The only thing they would add to the article is to use Tungsten Carbide PCB drills at the highest possible speed and have loadsa spare drills.

http://www.10000cows.com/DebenhamCapsule.htm
says its easy to get right which Clem Beaumont & Bernhard Wiengartner second.

We only need Bernhard to tell us how to make it sound like an original Ck12  :D

ricardo said:
ruairioflaherty said:
We'll have to disagree on that one!
Wow! Do you mean a new 414 makes your girlfriend sound like Linda Ronstadt?  :eek:

;D Just shocked that a 414 could be a mans favourite LDC.  Have you ever recorded with a U67, a U49, an M49 or UM57?  Or a Bock U99/E47.  Or a Brauner VM1?  I could probably name 15 LDC that I'd prefer to the 414 but as I say I've owned 4 over the years with my brother.

Thanks for the info on the mic project, I'm sure it will be appreciated here.

Back