Motu 8pre: product review

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Butterylicious

Since there isn't a home studio section, I guess I'll post this here.

I recently got into a new computer and a new band.  It quickly became time to record a demo.  My old sound interface (Terreatec) didn't cooperate with the new PC and it was a POS.  I ended up with a Motu 8pre.  The short answer is it's totally worth the 5 bills.  For a , "get me started all I have are microphones" solution to get started recording, I'm very pleased.  Crash ratio is pretty low.  The firmware update was scary and I thought I was doomed for a minute but it all worked out.  I can see the companion hardware (828) in my immediate future.  The big limiting factor is the fact that it only has a a stereo bus output.  Reamping or working outside of the box is not really a possibility with the 8pre.  I did my recordings in 24/96.  I did note that my vintage Samplitude software is a lot less forgiving at the higher bit rate, but the sound quality is vastly improved.  I was a bit surprised at how much boost was required.  The input sensitivity between too quiet, just right, and clipping is less than I'd expect but I'm an old fart who misses the forgiveness of tape compression.  Once the level is set correctly, the end results are nice.  I don't think I'd go so far as to call it "professional grade" but i base this on the professional studios I am familiar with who have API consoles and mics that cost more than my automobile.  The queue monitor mix is simple to use but it's easily -20dB from Samplitude's 0dB output.  This added steps between monitoring during over dubs and monitoring during mix down.  I guess if it was simple. everybody would be doing it.  This hardware (or my piece anyway) doesn't like a fast reboot.  It want's to be shut down for about a minute before restarting.  My assumption is that there are caps remaining charged.  Use it, learn it, work around it's funkiness.  Getting proper levels set seems to be the key to success.  I found myself leaning toward the low end and normalizing objects after the fact.  The sensitivity between just right and too much is less than this old fart is accustomed to, of course i come from the school of smacking the tape and loving it. 

All in all, I love the hardware and have no regrets about paying zero dollars for it.  I'd even be happy had I paid retail.  Bang for the buck, I give it a 10.  Ease of use I give it a 9.  Reliability I give it an 8.  Tech suck port I give it about a 5 because the firmware update sucked ass.  Fidelity I give it a 7 but I'm extremely prejudiced.               

i come from the school of smacking the tape and loving it. 

Same here.  My second DAW setup used a MOTU 828.  First recordings on it made me want to throw it out the window.  By the time I adjusted my engineering techniques things started sounding quite good (but never 1" tape good!).  A number of vintage compressors that only saw action during mixdown when using console/tape were now required as part of the front end tracking chain to get a sound that headed in the direction I was accustomed to hearing.

My gripe with the low and mid level interfaces is all the extra crap (mic pres, FX, minimal software suite) they add.  I'd have been happy to just get 8 good AD/DA I/Os at a lower price and let whoever needed the extra stuff pay extra for it.  Great if you have no big software and virtually useless if you're running PTools, Logic, etc.

I used the outputs for reamping a good bit but seldom used more than a couple at a time.  That same 828 (which has 8 analog outputs) developed a digi-brain fart and quit working one day.  It's still sitting in a local shop.  May be an opportunity to pick one up on the cheap if you're interested.  At the time I called MOTU they were still doing repairs on these.  I forget the bench minimum - maybe $100.  Our studio just bought a newer model.

My gripe with the low and mid level interfaces is all the extra crap (mic pres, FX, minimal software suite) they add.  I'd have been happy to just get 8 good AD/DA I/Os at a lower price and let whoever needed the extra stuff pay extra for it.  Great if you have no big software and virtually useless if you're running PTools, Logic, etc.

Sorry to go off-topic, but I was in the same boat not too long ago. I went with an Echo Audiofire12; 12 balanced I/O, MIDI I/O, linkable for 24 I/O if needed. $600 USD. No frills AD/DA conversion, perfect for what I do (ITB mixing with hardware comps). Works flawlessly with ProTools 9 Native. Sound quality is damn good for this price point.

Ok so I've had the box about 1 month.  Came in yesterday and the damn thang is blinking and emitting a heartbeat pulsing pair of thumps.  Dunno how long my headphones had to endure that.  Anyway, rebooted the system and box and it's dead.  Even with nothing attached it just sits there and thumps.  I guess now it's time to test their warranty. 

Hope that works out for the best Butterylicious.

That's sad that it went belly up in only a month, but good in a way I guess. The full warranty is only three months, so yours should be free.

Take Care

Latest posts

Back