Neve 1272 and 1176 Compressor in the same package?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

777funk

I have been thinking about building both of these and have collected most of the parts for the Neve and I was thinking...

I'd like to build an 1176 shortly after. But... why not build the 1176 into the Neve...

That's most likely how I'll be running it most of the time anyways.

Is this a bad idea?

I'd use a bypass PCB in between the  Mice Pre's output and the 1176 input jack. Keep the units bypassed and the mic pre feeds the compressor, switch it in and the output and input is live. Honestly it's reversed logic of what most of the bypass boards are for but perfect for your needs if used in reverse.

This gives you the best of both worlds honestly and worth the cost.

Volker aka Silent Arts has bypass PCB's, Igor and others do too.

kazper said:
I'd use a bypass PCB in between the  Mice Pre's output and the 1176 input jack. Keep the units bypassed and the mic pre feeds the compressor, switch it in and the output and input is live. Honestly it's reversed logic of what most of the bypass boards are for but perfect for your needs if used in reverse.

Good advice !

I was thinking of having an in/out switch just before the last gain stage in the Neve Pre to run out to the 1176 and then back in.

So 2 gain stages (EZ1290)
--->>> 1176
Back into the third gain stage of EZ1290

I don't know if this is the best routing or not but it was a thought.

One question on all of this... would I still need the matching transformers on the 1176 in this configuration?

Latest posts

Back