SSL - pro tools controller

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QUEEF BAG

i've got someone who is looking to lock PT & a 4000G

looking at 2Tools and Konnektor.

any thoughts on these two systems? 
i am having a hard time finding much info on konnektor.

thanks in advance.

thanks.
and there is the ZX from desk doctor,

this console came from japan, and has the box of choice from there,
a powerhill thing.  it's manual is in japanese, i'm not sure of it's capabilities yet.
got it mostly working today, but i'm not sure if it can allow ssl to be master.
(though i'm not sure how nessicary that is...)

looking for a box that can have either pro tools or the ssl be the master.
though most of the time the master will probably be pro tools.

if any one has experience with these and can recommend or discourage one, i'm looking
for info on how they do in the field.

Years ago i built some interface boxes based around a couple of PICs to do the same thing. Worked great (and was a very educational project!), but these days they sit around unused.  Most of our clients who still want to use the SSL automation, prefer to use Pro Tools as a timecode only master.  There's a way to trick the SSL into working that way, without using the SSL transport controls. Took awhile for some of the old-school SSL guys to adapt, but most are happier working this way.

I've heard good things about both the whizzer and 2-tools, though one user told me they had to re-boot 2-tools often.

I used to run 2Tools with my SSL 4k, the advantage over some other solutions (ZX) is Protools can run via it's internal clock as it's not having to chase a Sync I/O

2Tools is just like running tape, but with a very fast rewind.

You can hit space bar and everything springs into action, as Protools thinks the SSL transport is a control surface, so it's a two way thing, so both are masters.

If your mixing with the SSL, you just roll everything from the 4k computer locating and cycling as normal.

Latest posts

Back