revalver amp modeling by peavey talk about flexable

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pucho812

not one to talk about amp modeling other then if you want another another model DIY another amp but, holy crap that revalver is really tweakable. must demo it out.

http://www.peavey.com/products/software/ReValver/

Screen shot of tweak page.
tweak1.jpg

tweak2.jpg

One of the most powerful features of ReValver™ MK III.V is the ability to tweak each parameter of a module other than the usual knobs and buttons on the front of the module. By right-clicking on an amp model, users can "go inside" and adjust the amp's tones and components on the Tweak Module GUI. Every tube in every amplifier can be tweaked or replaced with any one of 17 included tube types. ReValver even lets you modify power amp rectifiers, output transformers and tone stacks.

Wow! I like that a lot. Reminds me a bit of the Nord Modular.

I had an idea some years ago for something a little like that as an electronics plug-in for protools. But that is way cooler.

It could be great for prototyping before you build!

I like revalver quite a bit. The amp models sound very good, and the tweaking is nice. You can do as much or little tweaking as you want. From swapping some tubes to setting voltages and transformer characteristics. Ridiculous!

abechap024 said:
I wish they had VST plugins like that....

They do, revalver is VST.

I've used all the ampsims out there, and IMHO Revalver is the best hands down.  I use it for tracking and for the editing process and for preliminary mixes.  It takes some time to get the right tone, but (with some good impulses) once you do you'll be surprised how damn good it sounds.

abechap024 said:
ruckus328 said:
abechap024 said:
I wish they had VST plugins like that....

They do, revalver is VST...

Whoops I meant compressor/eq type vst plugins

It's called Synthmaker.

http://synthmaker.co.uk/

Very easy to use exactly for this kind of prototyping with a large library of existing solutions to combine and modify to your liking. The stock modules are not enough you say? Well you can write C/ASM based new ones for more specific DSP tasks.

Exports directly to VST and has years and years of stable development behind it.

I may sound mean here, but "Pascal" wins my award for most boring presentation of a guitar based product ever- I mean guitar players by nature require marketing which is snappy and appeals to their irrepresible thirst for the latest piece of gear. Gear which hopefully and instantaneously convinces them it will make them sound like their playing at Wembly stadium, or, the perfect recreation of some vintage amp which of course only 30 were ever made between 1967 and 1968 and Jimi Hendrix sacredly urinated on. Most manufaturers usually find high profile players to be endorsees of their products on the basis that if John Petrucci is showing you how he gets his Mesa Boogie amp sounds you will sound exactly like him if you buy the Mark V etc. 

I truly wonder how many aspiring guitar hero's without access to a huge recording space to mic their amps and hence look for a software equivalent for their home recordings would have got through the end of Pascals "on-line presentation" before giving up.

Irrelevent within the context of this thread, but just something I noticed and found horrifying

Oh and another thing to add to my whinge....

These "moddelling" packages are sold on the premise of "come listen to how good our samples are".  To that end,  I can confirm that nothing made me yell an obscenity more than the day I received the Pod X3 -  purchasing on the basis that the exact same samples that were offered on the website to show off their product could be downloaded into your very own unit. I did like the samples and was convinced they sounded so much better than other offerings I had heard. Accordingly I finally decided the day of miking up my JCM800 were over and I took the plunge and bought one. 

So eager I was when the pretty boxed unit arrived at my doorstep, I unpacked it, plugged in, loaded the web samples, and consequenly and cruley learnd they in fact sounded nothing like what I heard. I felt like a women who had just realised her husband had been having an affair! The penny dropped slowly and my brain yelled to me in an unforgiving tone........you silly fool, some pretty good professional studio post production went onto those web samples. How could I have been that stupid? 

It made me realise with a great audio engineer and high quality studio, you can post produce a pignose guitar amp and it will sound good. The quality is in the post production engineers mixing skills and the studio. Try the same samples paramter for paramter as they use but in your  home environment, and  I honestly believe its a different story.  Peace.

deuce42 said:
Oh and another thing to add to my whinge....

These "moddelling" packages are sold on the premise of "come listen to how good our samples are".  To that end,  I can confirm that nothing made me yell an obscenity more than the day I received the Pod X3 -  purchasing on the basis that the exact same samples that were offered on the website to show off their product could be downloaded into your very own unit. I did like the samples and was convinced they sounded so much better than other offerings I had heard. Accordingly I finally decided the day of miking up my JCM800 were over and I took the plunge and bought one. 

So eager I was when the pretty boxed unit arrived at my doorstep, I unpacked it, plugged in, loaded the web samples, and consequenly and cruley learnd they in fact sounded nothing like what I heard. I felt like a women who had just realised her husband had been having an affair! The penny dropped slowly and my brain yelled to me in an unforgiving tone........you silly fool, some pretty good professional studio post production went onto those web samples. How could I have been that stupid? 

It made me realise with a great audio engineer and high quality studio, you can post produce a pignose guitar amp and it will sound good. The quality is in the post production engineers mixing skills and the studio. Try the same samples paramter for paramter as they use but in your  home environment, and  I honestly believe its a different story.  Peace.

That sounds like simple fraud...  bait and switch, fraud.
=====
I wanted to make a compressor/limiter a couple decades ago that was completely soft, with maybe 20 possible adjustments. Since we didn't have the technology we do today, I was going to save the preset tweaks to the leader of the recording. VST looks like the way to go now, but I'm not sure if I want to work in the digital domain or digitally controlled analog, I guess both would be OK.

JR

DL'd the demo, looks promising. However, I did not see any pentode preamps tubes, you can't 'build' an amp from scratch or even add/remove stages. These are things that will likely be added in future versions/add-on packs, but they seem like biggies to me.

I did not see any pentode preamps tubes,

That's too bad.  Would've been one of the first things I would have checked out  - plotting miller effect on the 2nd tube going from lo to high mu types.  Maybe they will add it later.  (can't ignore the Vox AC lovers out there)

gemini86 said:
DL'd the demo, looks promising. However, I did not see any pentode preamps tubes, you can't 'build' an amp from scratch or even add/remove stages. These are things that will likely be added in future versions/add-on packs, but they seem like biggies to me.

maybe in version 4?

ReValver MK III Amp Modeling software is the Musicians Friend deal of the day - today only at $69.99:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/stupid/

regards, Jack

Kingston said:
It's called Synthmaker.

Yes I've seen that and Downloaded the demo. Pretty awesome for what it is. One of those things that would be fun to take the time to really learn the ins and outs, but never learned as much as I should've.
But they just let you pick different modules. Not so much electronic parts at least at what I've seen. But still the idea is sort of the same. Would be awesome if someone could program an add on or something that let you insert a schematic and have it do its thing

AMZ-FX said:
ReValver MK III Amp Modeling software is the Musicians Friend deal of the day - today only at $69.99:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/stupid/

regards, Jack

Why do these type saloes happen when I don't have any money? Dang nabbit!

O.k. so after the Duality install I put in the demo of revalver and off I went.

For starters I hate demo mode. Why? You have a full working demo that has random noise come up. This is typical of some plug in designers. I would rather have it only work for x amount of days and then stop completely. But that is minor.  For starters the tweak page I posted pictures of is for the amps. There are way more things one can tweak on here. So far everything seems tweakable uber tweakable. For example when you model your amp cabinet you can select from 1,2 or 4 speakers, what make and size of speaker(from a small but standard list like Jensen pq10), as well as various common mics to put on it like sm57, md421, md441, u-87 in all different polar patterns, km-84, 414 in different polar patterns.  You can also choose distance from the speaker as well as distance from the cone as well as angle of the mic. There is also stomp boxes built in modeled after various famous stomp boxes like the boss pedals and buda wah. There is also an FX chain for studio fx to be inserted that are vst based so if you have any vst's you wish to throw in the sonic chain you can. It also comnes with VST modeing of some of the AMR research and other studio outboard units. The AMR compressor was not too bad IMO.  There is just way to many tweak functions, I like that. I also like the fact that much like Guitar Rig you can run it as a stand alone processor. I am still playing with it but so far it's best I have ever heard as far as amp modeling in the box. I am impressed to say the least.

Latest posts

Back