first diy studio eq

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteC

Hi all,

just finished my GSSL and really pleased with it.

Next objective is to build a studio quality EQ device.

I can get by with just 1 or 2 channels of eq - just want to be able to send out of mixbus into outboard eq.

I've built lots of tube audio gear before so thats no problem - but equally happy to build a good solid state item if its quicker etc

I like to keep things simple for purest signal path.....whats a good / simple but high-quality EQ that you'd recommend as next project for me ?
Thanks
Pete

thanks for your comment

So did you build a GPultec ?  - I just read all your posts

Two mono g-pultecs or one of Igors stereo m/s g-pultec mods if you have a little more time. The g-pultecs are beside my "nondiy" Avalon very sweet sounding and top of the notch... There are also very interesting mods here from enhanced filterboards to tubless design. Just do some searches. Most infos are already here to find...
Good luck

many thanks hotbaby  - thats very helpful indeed

I'll do plenty of searching - just wanted to understand some preferences/recommendations.

Cheers
Pete

I would think it depends on the EQ style you want - clean or character.

For clean I would say Jakobs Calrec is the way to go.

Character, maybe the Pultec, API 553 or 1084 would be the choice.

Peter

If you've built lots of tube gear and you want something across your stereo buss, the answer i would say is Pultec. The other two mentioned are also nice, but then your into a 500 rack...and generally i'd say 553 and 1084 are/were used more as channel eq's...tracking or mixing. (there's absolutely nothing stopping a person from using them across a mix).

I think i remember(as peterc suggested) people liking the Calrec too...

thanks for all the suggestions here folks - much appreciated.

peterc - I think I'm looking for character rather than squeaky clean - so maybe the Pultec,

desol - also I want to use it as much for channel strip/tracking as I do for using across a buss or mix. 

So maybe 2 mono units would do it.
I have a spare 6U cabinet which needs recycling - so could maybe build 2 mono units in same housing.

I love valve/tube gear but like the speed and convenience of building solid state too.

thanks for your thoughts
Pete

Back