It's all about timing...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rybow

So I'm rocking out recording some vocals on a track that I am working on with a friend of mine. Singing away like a maniac as I usually do, when a breakdown happens in the song. At that precise and quiet moment, a text comes in on my phone with a "ding". I gave myself a silent reprimand for not silencing the ringer, finished the take, and then sat down to listen to the playback. Sounds good, work on this, work on that. The breakdown comes, and my phone's "ding" is not only clearly audible, but absolutely perfectly timed! To top it all off, I like it! I like it a lot! That single ding filled a small space in that section of the song that I felt was missing something. Freakin awesome!

Got to remember to text my buddy back and thank him for the help. He'll be so confused.

I had a similar incident earlier this week...except my android phone's text ringer is called "android beat-box" which didn't fit so will in my rather deaftones-esque slow, dreary song. Bummer.

Awesome.  I have a great swiss mountain dog.  She has a huge bark.  I have always hoped for something like that to happen.  But so far nothing usable, just the one or two times per project that we have to retake something because shes barking at something. 

Well be sure to post the ding!  I love crazy stuff like that. 

Something like that happened to me when recording a friend in a bathroom-vocal booth (ghetto!).

As he was going to start, accidentally hits a glass of water, falls down, breaks, great mess, but, hey, listen!, It`s on time!

And I kept it in the mix, sweet things.

It was pretty amazing. Usually things like this ruin a take, but in those rare moments...

Cool stories guys! And a swiss mountain dog? I have never heard of one! Gonna check it out.

I will get a sample up tomorrow for y'all to check out.

a greater swiss mountain dog? My boss has one...but dumb brute. She's adorable when she's not misbehaving.

Insomniaclown; They're commonly known as a swissy.

riggler said:
Sound sample or it didn't happen!

Here it is! A short excerpt from the song. Rough mix. Still needs some work or I'd post the whole thing. I'm the music and my buddy does the lead vocals. Hope to get this one done soon although I am the king of procrastinating. The ding came on my back up vocal scratch track, and my phone was about 10 feet behind the mic on my desk. I left the file in aif, so it may take a moment to download. Enjoy!

Edit: Took the file down for a bit. I was listening at work, and the ding is really faint there. I'll repost tomorrow with a better level.

Well tomorrow turned into a week, but I got er done. Untouched, no processing, perfectly timed ding that bridges 2 parts of the song. Anyway, here it is again, much louder this time. Enjoy!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11106120/Magic%20top%20and%20tail.aif

Pc wont play AIF files .....il download something that will.....This reminds me of a 70s song called Gimme that ding !......

Next door they have got a soon to be dead cockerill .....it opened its beak while I was recording a young lady, so I used it in the song.....heres youtube link ....

http://youtu.be/MzP8nkhbzs8

gary o said:
Pc wont play AIF files .....il download something that will.....This reminds me of a 70s song called Gimme that ding !......

Next door they have got a soon to be dead cockerill .....it opened its beak while I was recording a young lady, so I used it in the song.....heres youtube link ....

http://youtu.be/MzP8nkhbzs8

Gimme that ding? I'll check it out! Sorry about the no AIF play. I should re upload it as an MP3. I'll do that soon.

I'll check out that link right now! Soon to be dead cockerill? Sounds like you are planning something...

I was recording a children's choir in a church one time. They got to the end of a dramatic piece and, right at the musical peak, there was a tremendous clap of thunder. Perfect timing -- thanks, God!

I tried to talk them into using that take on the recording but they didn't.

Peace,
Paul

Latest posts

Back