Photo diary of my GSSL build

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Enchilada

Hey guys,

I've decided to build one of Gyraf's SSL clones. Aside from a couple of guitar pedals, this is my first build so I though I might document it just for fun! So far, all I've done is write up my BOM, order some parts from Element 14 and etch the PCBs.

I'll keep updating this thread with more photos as I make progress so if any of you happen to be interested, stay tuned!

IMAG0103.jpg

Kris

Always good to run into another Aussie on these forums!

Quick update:

[list type=decimal]
[*]I'm still waiting for my drill bits to arrive
[*]I'm still waiting for the parts needed from Element 14
[*]I spent some time in the www.retrovox.com.au warehouse yesterday and was amazed at all the vintage military electronics he has. I found a 4U rack case with a mean looking 0-100mA meter right in the centre. Wish I had taken a photo. I know it's a little on the large side but I thought it might make a nice looking enclosure for my GSSL build
[/list]

gemini86 said:
I'd say 4u is a bit large for sure...haha. Grab it and build a 660 in it though... :D

Any links to schematics, BOM and PCB traces?

I think I might be a little too worried about tube voltage right now to tackle a 660, I'll get a few builds under my belt first ;D

hey enchilada,
I am currently at a similar stage with gssl (still...3 months on :()
building a quad (2xstereo) in a 2u.

I have two mostly stuffed but not soldered self etch gssl boards and i'm looking for ssc etch file if you come across it.

have you got all your components? i'm not sure which 'THAT' ic's to get either yet.

Quick update, my drill bits arrived and I have never been more disappointed. I snapped three of the bits before I even managed to drill enough holes to mount the release switch. What have we learnt from this exercise? DON'T BUY CRAPPY DRILL BITS FROM EBAY!!!!! Now to buy some decent bits so I can continue.

kepeb said:
hey enchilada,
I am currently at a similar stage with gssl (still...3 months on :()
building a quad (2xstereo) in a 2u.

I have two mostly stuffed but not soldered self etch gssl boards and i'm looking for ssc etch file if you come across it.

have you got all your components? i'm not sure which 'THAT' ic's to get either yet.

Haven't looked into SSC althoug I will probably buy a turbo board once it's done. Closest think I could find for SSC is here http://www.sdiy.de/de/projects/superSC.html. You could probably photoshop a self etch file from the image there if you were super keen. I couldn't even find anywhere to buy the SSC board  :eek:

I went with the THAT 2181A VCAs (Farnell # 1354171), the 2181 cost less than the 2180 and the general consensus appeared to be that there was little audible difference between them. I was going to go with the 2181B because I thought the difference between the A and B variant was negligible but decided to go for the A at the last minute. For an extra $12 I'm not really worried about it. See this site for modifications needed for each of the THAT VCAs http://diy.fischerworks.com/gssl_vca.shtml

@sam system-d - thanks mate! I'll need all the luck I can get  ;D

hey, yea saw that one. thats one of 3 layouts if i'm not mistaken.
theres also barclaycons collection of very handy info here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/barclaycon/GSSLSuperSidechainPCB
I would definitely like to self etch to match my main boards and increase end satisfaction tho :D

yea, you got to be ultra steady with those bits. expect to break a couple even if you are.
you have a drill press I assume.
you'll have to update again after you drill a couple of hundred holes :)

I probably should find out what the super sidechain does. I just saw the word sidechain and wasn't interested. Probably should find out who designed it and make sure they're OK with you self-etching first.

Yeah I do have a drill press.

Enchilada said:
I probably should find out what the super sidechain does. I just saw the word sidechain and wasn't interested. Probably should find out who designed it and make sure they're OK with you self-etching first.

Yeah I do have a drill press.
very cheery.
'OK' with my self etching someone else's 3rd gen adapted design which was offered freely? lol ok mate, thanks :)
I'll just pencil my own if theres not a convenient print ready etch file. If you want to steal anything I would have just lifted API or similar filter section. I am more about DIY projects that were developed with DIY in mind. and don't really want the commercial versions (like turbo emulates) etc.

yea, you should read through the relevant threads. but to help you along..
the ssc is not sidechain as in all compressor sidechain inputs.
its a variable/selectable filter section which you re-route your side chain signal through.
saves a whole mess of multing and routing through EQs.
Gustav offers the boards in WM but didn't design them, just like with gssl boards. as you probably knew.
just out of interest. who did you ask before etching gssl? lol

anyway, I'll let you get on.
good luck :)

The GSSL was as I understand inspired by, and is definitely a clone of an SSL. However, it is definitely not an exact replica of the SSL 4000 bus compressor.I see this to be the same territory as the countless Chinese microphone manufacturers selling Neumann inspired clones. While the design base is the same, it's not a carbon copy.

Jakob freely offers a PCB transfer on his site, I would have thought there is a reason I searched so hard to find one for a board which is still popular today and came up empty handed.

I have come to think of this place as a community of DIYers who all share knowledge and design to help each other out. Some guys here work hard and design improvements to other projects and decide not to freely share it and that's their free will decision to do so. If someone feels they have worked hard and would like to sell their work then I support them. While Keith may be selling his products on this site, look at how much of his free time does he donate giving free advice. This is why I have gladly purchased an EZ1290 PCB, I will purchase a turbo board once my GSSL in complete and I will also gladly send Jakob a donation for his efforts.

Just curious. Are self etched boards inferior than the ones manufactured, where designers order theirs? Like do they go through an extra step process to enhance the life and strength of the boards or traces, etc?

No idea...

I give my PCBs a rub with imitation steel wool (the stuff that won't rust), clean it with acetone, clean it again with isopropyl alcohol and then give it a coat of Servisol PCB lacquer to finish it off. After doing this the tracks stay shiny whereas they tend to dull very quickly when left bare. I'm assuming the dulling of the tracks will negatively affect the PCB.

Kris

It's been a while since I've posted an update so here I go...

Drill bits have arrived and so did most of the parts from Element14. I've soldered most parts onto the PCBs now although I'm missing a few bits from my Element14 order (a bridge rectifier, 33pf capacitors and a 7915). Once the missing parts arrive I'll stick it in an enclosure, check voltages and if all is good I'll pop in the 2818A, 5534, 5532, TL074, TL072 and hopefully it'll work for me.

Here's a photo of my progress  ;D

20111024_214740.jpg

Well...

As you can probably tell from the image above, I soldered one of the 1000uF capacitors with the incorrect polarity. I connected power to the PCB to test voltages and it started leaking some form of green fluid. I immediately turned the power off and I noticed it was really fat. It was probably about to pop  :eek:

Anyway, lesson learned there. I've ordered another 1000uF capacitor and I'll give it another go when it arrives.

I'm also having voltage problems when the trafo is connected to the PCB. Will post details when I discover the culprit.

Latest posts

Back