Adam A7x users

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Autophase

Hi,
I bought a pair of these a few months back, within 2 days i sent my first pair back due to an internal rattle on one of them, and excessive prot noise on both.
The sent me a new pair which I immediately checked out and were notably better.
But in the last 2 weeks I have a lot more chance to use them and I really am unstatisfied, the port noise is really audible on kicks (i produce techno mainly) it seems to be on the deepest frequencies, but even with a 47HPF on the master chain the port noise is still audible.
I'm positive its not me over driving the speakers because the problem is even there with big studio commercial releases, with my audio interface output on the first orange light (not red) and the speaker set at middle volume position, so I definately havent got them too loud.
My 7 year old heavilly used tannoy reveals dont have this kind of port noise.
Does anyone else here have any experience with them, have you notice port noise? (it is really only on fast transient low frequency kicks 40-60hz) but still it makes them unuseable to for what I produce.
Has anyone else had the port noise problem with Adam speakers?
The big question is, do I swap them for another pair or try to get my money back and just got for the Tannoy 601a (im used to the tannoy sound, grrrr I should have auditioned a pair of 601s before I bought the adams)
It would be a shame as the adams sound fantastic apart from the port noise.

Any advice from fellow Adam users would be appreciated.

Port hole noise is a common "feature" of the smaller Adam speakers. I closed the port holes on mine with some old socks, sounds better (tighter low end, less resonant midrange), but I've got a sub to account for the low end loss.

I think new reference speakers always takes time to get accustommed to. I use to only use Yamaha NS series speakers and decided to branch out to help with mix translation and just to give my ears a rest from one style of monitoring. At first I didn't like the Dynaudios but now I have learnt to love them and found them as my main monitors with the NS as secondary.

I think if you change to a different set of good quality speakers, you need to give them some time for you to get use to it. Whatever speaker you decide, give them some time. I would go with the Dynaudio range. The price and sound is just right  :)

At first I didn't like the Dynaudios but now I have learnt to love them and found them as my main monitors with the NS as secondary.

I think if you change to a different set of good quality speakers, you need to give them some time for you to get use to it. Whatever speaker you decide, give them some time. I would go with the Dynaudio range. The price and sound is just right 

+1

Back