Tube based VU Meter Buffer Schematic?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Junction

Has anybody come across a tube based VU meter buffer design or schematic? I've got some tube pre's and want to install a VU meter/buffer, hanging off the tube power supply.
Cheers
Michael

Junction said:
Has anybody come across a tube based VU meter buffer design or schematic? I've got some tube pre's and want to install a VU meter/buffer, hanging off the tube power supply.
Cheers
Michael
A Vu meter buffer relies on a rather low output impedance since the meter is supposed to see a total source impedance of about 4k. So if you don't need voltage gain you could use a cath follower, but if you need gain, you must have gain from a common cathode stage followed by a cath follower, or a step-down transformer. Most of the times, in vintage (or not so vintage) equipment, VU meters are driven off a transformer - and very often from the unit's output.

You can use the poor man's tube gain make up circuit for this. It is what I used in my most recent all tube mixer. It has quite a bit of gain so you need to use the preset pot at the input to reduce the input level. I also up the resistor in series with the VU meter to 10K further reduce the sensitivity but this can mess with the ballistics.
Cheers

Ian

MagnetoSound said:
Can you just tap it onto (one of) the output stage cathode(s)?
Yes I could but a VU meter across the audio path can introduce distortion into the audio, I dont want to mess with the audio, a buffer seems the best way to tackle it.

Why waste a tube for such a mundane task? One or two high voltage MOSFETs will do the job perfectly. Without hurting your glass sound ;).

volker said:
Why waste a tube for such a mundane task? One or two high voltage MOSFETs will do the job perfectly. Without hurting your glass sound ;).
Yeah good suggestion, however I am going overboard on the tube/iron thing, this sucker has or will have soon, 4 audio trannys, a choke and 2 power trannys (as the original pre was 110V and I am on 240V supply), so only the right think to do it put another tube in there, there is already a spare 7 pin socket on the chassis, so I was thinking of using a 6AU6, not actually that much more work in wiring up a tube that a transistor.

An it has been a cold winter, so any extra bit of tube warmth never goes to waste around here.
Cheers

Brian Roth said:
In principle, you could power an opamp from the filament power supply.

Though about that Brian, good idea too, but as per my last post, I want to stay inside a glass bottle where I can .... why? ..... coz I can and they look good.

What abbey road said.  Unless your tube pres do not use an output transformer, just connect it from the OT secondary with an appropriate pad/divider network in front and you're done.

lassoharp said:
What abbey road said.  Unless your tube pres do not use an output transformer, just connect it from the OT secondary with an appropriate pad/divider network in front and you're done.
Yeah fair call lasso, I have been researching several vintage tube mixer schemos and they all run their meter off the secondary of the OT. The vintage VU meters that I have hardly even blink when connected to the output, might be worth tweaking the internal resistor, there is one in there along side the germanium bridge. Definitely worth a try.
Cheers

>just connect it from the OT secondary with an appropriate pad/divider network in front and you're done.

Have a look at the spectra of noise added by connecting a moving coil vu meter across the secondary of OT.

I found surprisingly a *lot* of mid frequency range noise added even with very good quality vu meters.

Enough so that now I only use a buffer or a defeat switch.

Still below the threshold of hearing but surely 'ruins'  an otherwise beautiful unity gain noise plot  :)

Cheers

Thjanks Alex, yes I have read various comments as such and really thats why I wanted to go the buffer approach in the first place. I'll see if I can get my oscilloscope which hasnt been happy lately, working, so I can have a look at the impact.

Latest posts

Back