Early Allen & Heath Console, an LA3A, and a "Multi-Track" Dual Equalized Reverb

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riggler

So my friend calls to tell me that a gentleman with an early 1970's era studio wants to give away all of his gear. The basement it was in had some water damage. He wanted all of it out ASAP as contractors were coming in to repair the house.

I got so lucky. There was a stereo Urei LA-3A there and I said "Do you really just want to give this away? Do you know what this would go for?" and he said "Yes, just take it and use it." In disbelief I said thank you as he pulled out a spring reverb that I have never heard of, a Multi-Track Dual Equalized Reverb.

Wow. Then he said we had to take the console.

It's an Allen & Heath. The serial number is 029. There are no identifying model numbers at all on it. It's modular, 16 X 8.
Does anyone know what this is? Is it worth restoration? The external power supply is totally rusted. Looks like it was submerged. So I will need to rebuild a PSU for it at the least.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

Congrats for a good catch! The console seems to be an early MOD3, circa 1979. This is the daughter of the custom MOD1 that A&H built for Pink Floyd :)
Totally discrete (but the headphone amp), 24V operation.

You'll find the brochure, owner and service manual on A&H website
http://www.allen-heath.com/uk/Products/pages/DiscontinuedProductDetails.aspx?productId=MODSeries

Axel

Wow , that's almost a Les Paul in a farmer's attic story , nice !

someone once gave me a dynachord tube tape echo , because someone else was bugging them for it
It was the BEST gtr d.i. I have ever heard , but the motor was quite loud and inflexible delay time
, sold it when i was more desperate

dynachord tube tape echo

Now that's tasty. I worked on one for a guy (not a dynachord, it was a Copicat if I recall), it was all messed up sounding. A few bad caps were the culprit. Even the original tape and heads were okay!

The LA-3A might be okay. The power transformers look pretty rusty. I'm going to check the windings for shorts and check the unloaded voltages disconnected from the unit. If it looks good I'll go through the electrolytics and fire it up. They looked fine visually.

Should I do the whole refresh the caps thing on a variac?

It's got the original Urei markings. T4B's look virgin inside. As a matter of fact, it's immaculate inside for the most part. Must be 1971 or 1972? Does not say Teletronix, but it does say Universal Audio.

Latest posts

Back