SA-2A - LA2A in 51X Format!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's parked until after the holidays, too many things piled up at the moment, not to worry it is definately happening.  I did get a preliminary mechanical layout figured out, looks like the transformers, 4 tubes and standard 2.5" tall T4B will all fit in a 2 bay module.  I'm waiting on some flyback xfmr samples from coilcraft.  The design for my flyback booster circuit is completed but of course is all theory right now, but based on conversations I've had with them and LT it looks like it's got a very good shot of working as intended, and being in the realm of 10% more efficient then the current (DC-DC converter followed by booster) circuit that everyone seems to be using.  Looks like the flyback version will be fairly cheap, hopefully no more expensive then the current solutions as if it works out it'll utilize an off the shelf $10 transformer.  It will likely be surface mount though, in that case I might just have them built up and provide them completed.  Heaters will be addressed via a buck converter circuit, also probably surface mount (perhaps I'll just roll it all into one board)  These are minor concerns though, will worry about the details later (ignore my ramblings).

any news on this?

I'm also specifically interested in your flyback design... What ratio transformer would you be using for HV? I'm thinking of going with a flyback topology for the g9-51x (eventually, if not right away)

Gem, sorry for the delay, I have not done any further development yet on this but it is on my schedule in about a month.  I did plan to get back with the Eng at LT I'm working with this week though to try and get the HV flyback portion rolling.  I "think" it will probably end up being a stock off the shelf 1:10 step up I'll be using, that is one of the things I'll be discussing with them though.

ruckus328 said:
Gem, sorry for the delay, I have not done any further development yet on this but it is on my schedule in about a month.  I did plan to get back with the Eng at LT I'm working with this week though to try and get the HV flyback portion rolling.  I "think" it will probably end up being a stock off the shelf 1:10 step up I'll be using, that is one of the things I'll be discussing with them though.

I've been looking around for a 1:10 myself, but I'm guessing I just don't know where to look or what exactly I'm looking for.

Also thought about just winding one an a small ei core from a local shop. I figure about 1 turn per volt should do? I was just going to try it out with the old mc34063, see how it performs.

What kind of efficiency are you shooting for? above 95%? (I know some of the modern controllers are ridiculous efficient, was reading about synchronous rectification as well-not really helpful for this specific application, but interesting)

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing your project progress!

so, is the limit for each rail in a 500 rack 130mA each (+16 and -16)? Or total?

What about the +-24v in the 51x racks? What is the limit for these rails?

From the GroupDIY 511 Racks: 3rd Round thread in the white market:

People always want to compare our turnkey rack and PSU kit to a 10 space VPR rack, which is only a little more money. There are many threads that compare and explain the differences. They may be hard to find though. Mostly, our rack is 11 space not 10 and the PSU is a monster in comparison. Our PSU can run an 11 space rack full of VPR type modules running the full 130mA consumption on the bipolar 16V rails. Also, it can simultaneously run an 11 space rack full of 51x type modules running the full 130mA consumption on the bipolar 24V rails. More than double the girth of the typical on-board VPR type PSU. So, we have all the length and girth that they are lacking.

With the recent success of the PSU in Rodney's GIX-51x, is this a good point to bump this thread?

I hope so.  I'd love two of 'em  ;D

Ian

Ah, tis a shame.  This would be AWESOME!

I'm sure that the SPLICE will be a very well deserved success fro Ruckus - it looks amazing.  I'd get one but already have a RevA 1176 (from Hairball), plus I get half my pleasure from building!

Ian

Back