Easy Transistor Microphone Preamp DIY project?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manulaudic

Hello !

I am a singer and i have been looking to buy a good quality preamp for many months now.
Then a friend of mine recommended me to buy a DIY kit from Soundskulptor or Sevencircleaudio.

Though i was wondering if i could start from scratch, find a simple good quality design and collect all the parts on my own.

I love DIY and if you have any designs, PCB or anything to share and help find the best preamp let me know :)

Thank you for your time !

Manu

Get a kit and do it.

> i was wondering if i could start from scratch, find a simple good quality design and collect all the parts on my own.

Yes.... but it can be a major distraction from your voice-work and other activities. Any for-sure "good quality preamp" has a lot of parts, some rather fussy. A fully supported kit is your best bet for having a working preamp sometime soon.

Thank you PRR !

I don't worry so much about my work, if it would be a problem i would just go for the easiest and buy an already built unit.

Though i really enjoy building and it is a very relaxing hobby.

If you would have to recommend a Kit which one would it be? If i ever find myself building one where is a good place to order PCB from internet?

Oh and one last question, how about building some of Gyraf DIY project like the pultec EQ or SSL bus compressor. It's out of topic but if you've ever built any of his units, are they relatively easy to build and find all components?

thank you again for your time.
Manu

I just bought a sound sculptor 1073 kit (pre & eq) and a 19" case for it from Perusha. Everything arrived fast and safe and the kit looks very thought over and complete. I haven't started building yet, but I believe it is worth looking into those. I do like the kit because from what I've seen so far it all looks like exactly what I would have done (concept & choice of parts) if I'd put this stuff together on my own. If you don't have experience in sourcing parts it might take a very long time to finish things. And having a ready made case is really saving a lot of time and quite some money as well (if you want it to look 'proper').
Seventhcircle kits are probably good as well, but I have no personal experience wiht those.

Michael

Hey Michael,

sounds great, it's quite funny Sound Skultor are quite close to where i'm from.
I was thinking first of finding a good DIY project with a PCB layout then print it and all the parts list and then build it home but the whole Kit thing might be best !
Oh, i can't find the website for Purusha, where did you order the case?
I'd like also to start a 1176 or Pultec EQ from Gyraf, i guess Purusha would have those cases too.

Manu

Purusha's site... http://www.diy-racked.com/diy-talk/viewforum.php?f=7

manulaudic said:
Hey Michael,

sounds great, it's quite funny Sound Skultor are quite close to where i'm from.
I was thinking first of finding a good DIY project with a PCB layout then print it and all the parts list and then build it home but the whole Kit thing might be best !
Oh, i can't find the website for Purusha, where did you order the case?
I'd like also to start a 1176 or Pultec EQ from Gyraf, i guess Purusha would have those cases too.

Manu

Thank you for the link ! Amazing cases, and great price !

For Hairball, too bad he's out of stock. Though i found this topic : http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=37269.0 Looks like it came from a kit looking at the PCB board. Any idea where from?

Michael, I guess you didn't use the SoundSkulptor front panel. Was it the MP73? i heard the MP12 was more versatile, anyway both could go in the Purusha case.

What about PSU? did you buy it from soundskulptor? which one did you go for?

Thank you
Manu

manulaudic said:
Michael, I guess you didn't use the SoundSkulptor front panel. Was it the MP73? i heard the MP12 was more versatile, anyway both could go in the Purusha case.

I bought the 573s, so it's 500 series and the 1 height unit 500 case from Purusha to house it. In this context I plan to use the front panels, it all makes sense to me.

For 1176s I find the 'original' cases to be somewhat spacewasting. I'd go for a dual 2 height unit case. Certainly depends on your rack real estate.

Michael

I agree the soundskulpter never pre is pretty nice with good documentation , but
fairly high parts count  [ chance to stuff parts wrong ] it is complete ,
depends whether you are confident & meticulous or need full spoon feed [ complete kit ]
the api 312 style pres are a little more simple but it sounds like you need to do a little more research
so you know what you want , you'll end up happier that way instead of someone telling you .
go to the vendor sites and check out requirements and you will gain informed deciscions

Thank okgb,

Though i've done lots of research on kits sold on the internet. Of course there is that option of just buying the kit, getting all the parts at once and solder - Done.

I am looking for a good Mic Preamp for Vocals and acoustic instruments mainly.
Soundskulptor sevencircleaudio, fivefish etc are easy to build as they all come together.

Though, have any of you build anything else that kits?

Thank you,
Manu

How about a Green mic pre ?
Just finished my dual pre and it sounds great - should do exactly what you're looking for and not too difficult to build as an early project.

PM me if you need the pcb and power supply files - they were courtesy of Peterc but difficult to find the early version.
Read the META - loads of info there on mic pres and the Green Pre info is there too.

Also would recommend the Gyraf GSSL and G Pultecs - I recently built a couple of each and they are great units, again not too difficult and you are very patient when building - i.e. double check every component value before you add to the pcb and solder meticulously - I use a lighted magnify lamp over the pcb when soldering and it makes a huge difference to your soldering standards - and saves much frustration and time de-bugging later on. 

Rgds
PeteC

Hey PeteC thank you for your answer.

That's more what i was looking for. Greem Mike sounds good. I've heard about it on forums but never heard it in real life. I guess i have to build one.

How much gain do they have? enough for a ribbon?
I will PM you right now.

Oh and Yes the Pultec from Gyraf Looks so neat, plus Purusha has this wonderful case for it !

Thank you,
Manu

Hi Manu

You can also have a look there
http://www.audiomaintenance.com/acatalog/aml-17-020_extended_info.html

sounds very good if you like rock sound

Domi

If you had done research  [ here ] you would have seen the green pre ,
and several you mention are 500 type which you don't have to use that way but
you didn't say anything about wanting clean as possible or coloration .

the green pre is proven & successful  and you should be able to get help here,
not too expensive , a fine place to start , now,  research here for a successful build

Thank you okgb.

I will start with the Green pre and then look for something else.
In your honest opinion, which mic ore would you go for Great Vocals and Acoustic instruments in the style of Fleet Foxes, Feist etc...

Thanks again,
Manu

Latest posts

Back