Nick Cave/Birthday Party: Jennifer's Veil....What mic is this?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

travis

Jennifers Veil by the Birthday Party was the song that I skipped when I first started listening to them.  It kind of limps along in this weird fragmented way and feels like it could fall apart at any moment.  Somehow though it slowly drew me in and latched on.  Now when I listen to it I think that it is just perfect.  Everything about it.  Im sure everyone has their own songs like that.  They are the best kind!  I was excited to find this video of the band in the studio working on it and some other things from the Mutiny! EP (even though it looks like a painful experience) and I am really interested in what mic(s) Nick Cave is singing into.  Also I was wondering about the purpose and placement of the 2nd mic that is off to the side (I am very new to recording, so I am sorry if this is a stupid question ;D).  If anyone has any insight I would love to hear it!

Here is the studio footage(skip to 3:20):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prK56Q23slk

Here is song from the Mutiny! EP:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvID2-0-wbI

I think you are right Warpie, thanks!  Do you have this mic?  have you tried it on vocals?  Looks like they are pretty cheap and easy to find.   

Cheers back to you Warpie, I saw them in Seattle a while back and it was fantastic!

No worries travis  :)

I've used it a few times on snare and gtr cab. It seems to do the trick when a 57 fails  ;D
Not on vocals yet though...

I was looking at the D125 and some other AKG dynamic mics online and I think it might actually be a D190E.  Anyone used this or have any ideas on the other mic?  Maybe I am fussing a little too much over the equipment used by a band who has also included a telephone in their recording chain ;D but it is exciting for me to find that something I like has been recorded with kind of an inexpensive mic.

Latest posts

Back