Repairing multimeters

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peterc

Is this possible?

I have 2 meters (one [was] a really nice Extech & one cheapie) that have random sections of the display lit.

Is it a case of toss 'em, or is there something to look for like dry joints, bad connections etc.

Peter

I have fixed Fluke meter displays.  They had a pressure-fit connection that liked to be re-seated.  When my trusty went perma-beep after 18 years of service there was nothing I could do about it.
Take them apart and look, what could it hurt?
Mike

+1  LCD connectors are simple physical contact (conductive elastomer?), so re-seating (or cleaning and reseating) could be all you need to do. If part of the display is working and part not, it seems one or more matrix lines to the display are not making connection.

JR

I think I've seen 'Instructables' on fixing LCD's, the ribbon cables sometimes crack too.

Don't suppose anyone has access to any fluke schematics?

I've a bought a broken Fluke 164 Frequency counter. 
I think its a psu fault as there's a squealing noise coming from that area.
THe components are surface mount so tricky to identify.

It's £100 just for the service department to look at it...

I was doing a clear out and spotted this Extech meter and decided to give it one last try.

Used this video as a reference
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPHsVG8K1so

Cleaned the PCB with a white pencil eraser
Cleaned the edge of the polymer strip with some water and a Q tip, and.........

Lo and behold, it works! I recently tossed my old HP meter which dumped mains onto the neg probe and gave me a helluva shock, so its nice to have something for 'free' to replace it.

Peter

I'm know this question is elementary given the thread but I have a Fluke 187, and for a year or so now, it either won't turn on sometimes or it goes off unexpectedly. I have to jiggle/reinsert the batteries one way or another and then it works for a minute or two, or, a week or two. I've checked/cleaned the battery contacts every way I know of and even used a fine wire wheel in a Dremel and can't seem to make any difference.
Thanks,
-Glenn

Back