feelings on a 441

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 441 but most times my sm7b wins out when I've compared the two mics on instruments. Acoustic guitar, vocals.
I definitely like both mics though.
Recently I used the 441 with the HPF on in conjunction with a D12E on upright bass and it worked really well.

I can't get over the street price of the 441.  Not many voice coil mics in that range. 

+1 on this. It's a very good dynamic mic that I love. But it's about at least twice the price of most of his competitors... I'm planing to find one used at a good price, though...

Laurent.

+1 on this. It's a very good dynamic mic that I love. But it's about at least twice the price of most of his competitors... I'm planing to find one used at a good price, though...

Ditto that, find a decent price on a used one. 

441 is one of my favorites next to the RE55 and RE20

MicDaddy said:

Ditto that, find a decent price on a used one. 

441 is one of my favorites next to the RE55 and RE20

Done! just bought one in good shape for 200 euros. Good add to the mic locker...

Laurent.

Great sounding mic - the dynamic that sounds like a condenser and just very "correct" sounding in that Sennheiser way.  Be careful not to whack it.  The one I had broke when the mic stand accidentally fell over.  Sennheiser wanted $385 to rebuild.  You'll get very little leeway buying a broken one.  Like the 421 there's a price lock in the used market.  I don't think the shape was very popular compared to RE20 & SM7.  Tom Petty & Stevie Nicks apparently liked them, or at least their engineer did - for those who recall '82.

Have you noticed 441 having lower output than other dynamics (i.e 57 or 58)?
Is it just mine?  :-\

warpie said:
Have you noticed 441 having lower output than other dynamics (i.e 57 or 58)?
Is it just mine?  :-\

They do, just as SM-7 does relative to 57/58.  I got mine in trade for some cheap AKG 58 copy because the person thought it "sucked" as a PA vocal mic.  :eek:  Happens when you're used to hearing hot output and big bumps in the highs and lows.

emrr said:
I can't get over the street price of the 441.  Not many voice coil mics in that range.

the 'vintage tax' definitely makes it difficult to justify (for me anyway)... as much as i like the mic, it's not like you can't get in the same territory with different mics.  and this thread probably added another $25.  :-X

What!? Does nobody record saxophone anymore? Years ago I put a 421 on one of my fave sax players in the studio, and he suggested a 441, which he carried around with him. After using that, I went out a bought a used one for $250 and never looked back. Perfect sax sound every time, no matter which sax. Very little need for EQ when mixing.
Tried it on a bass cab, but wasn't crazy about the results. Maybe it was bad placement.   
Haven't used it on much else, but will try it on drums after reading this thread.

tchgtr said:
What!? Does nobody record saxophone anymore? Years ago I put a 421 on one of my fave sax players in the studio, and he suggested a 441, which he carried around with him.after using that, I went out a bought a used one for $250 and never looked back. Perfect sax sound every time, no matter which sax. Very little need for EQ when mixing. 

Finally.. some one said sax !!  Great on both tenor and alto.
Used those a lot in the old dayz for SR for Al Garth.  Roll off a bit of 1200Hz
perfect.

GARY

I like ribbons a lot for brass and guitar speakers, and usually use my tube mics for room mics on drums and some vocals, but on sax the 441 is a standard for me after my experiences with it. Might try a ribbon for an older tone, if somebody wanted a nostalgia vibe...

Latest posts

Back