Screen printing front panels

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frazzman

Hi there,
I was just wondering if anyone has had experience in screen printing/silk screening their front panels? I am so fed up with safmat and lazertran methods that this seems like the only logical next step.
I have made and exposed the screen with no problem and have had success print t-shirts before.
I have however never printed onto metal before.
Does anyone have any tips or suggestions? I am printing onto a standard 19" brushed aluminium front panel. I am not sure about what paint/ink to be using and what the preferred method is in applying the ink/paint with the screen. So far I am getting blotchy and unclear results. Never had a problem with t shirts.
I have spent more time trying to work out a good front panel printing soluton than I have on actually building each project!
Appreciate any ideas anyone has....

Try enamel ink - made for printing on glass, metal, etc. The ink needs to be thick enough to hold it's shape on the surface of the panel.

http://www.dickblick.com/products/naz-dar-59-000-series-gloss-enamel

Silk screening is only economical if you make sufficient quantities of one panel.

I would suggest the next logical step is engraving. Check out front panel express

http://www.frontpanelexpress.com/

It is available in the US and Europe, comes complete with free easy to use design software and is reasonably priced for small quantities. Many people here use it.

Cheers

Ian

I just did a silk screen and both of the other replies are right.  It doesnt really make sense unless you plan on doing more in the future.  I really wanted to learn the process but I did everything wrong before I got it right.  Use the nazdar 59000 ink.  It works great!  I was told that you can use "One Shot" enamel paint but it was a runny mess and resulted in hours of hell.  Maybe there is a way to thicken, but I just wouldnt mess with it.  Regular ink will scrape off.  you should be able to clean with mineral spirits but test it on your screen to make sure it doesnt remove any emulsion.  Nazdar makes their own brand of screen cleaner, but is expensive.  Just make sure that you have something that works for cleaning up!  Get a graphic squeegee....it is more rigid and square.  Try to find a silkscreen suppy store instead of an art store.  I found one that sells the squeege by the inch.  Also use a fine screen count screen.  Last but not least open your windows and turn on a fan!  Good luck!

ruffrecords said:
Silk screening is only economical if you make sufficient quantities of one panel.

I would suggest the next logical step is engraving. Check out front panel express

http://www.frontpanelexpress.com/

It is available in the US and Europe, comes complete with free easy to use design software and is reasonably priced for small quantities. Many people here use it.

Cheers

Ian

That's what I do, it works well.

Sorry I can't be of much help with silk screening, but I can offer an alternative.

If you use anodized aluminum panels you can have some trophy shops laser mark them, which just removes the anodization. That looks quite good.

Latest posts

Back