MIXING: British style? How?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pucho812 said:
what does that even mean, british style mixing?

I think there's different taste and approach to get mix like oasis, radiohead, muse, etc. They less punch, narrow stereo image.
Compare to american style (e.g. CLA) that punchy, wide, perfect sound. They both using a lot compression but in different ways.

From what I've heard a big part of the "British" approach is to use plenty of processing already in the tracking phase to make individual tracks sound their best and finished before mixing is actually done.

I read somewhere that British producers tended to place a drum set in the stereo image from the perspective of the drummer, Americans from the perspective of the audience it's not something I've attempted to notice or would have noticed if it hadn't been mentioned.

i dunno if this will help but i think the big difference is in micing technique.
eg. US using more condenser mics than dynamics in uk, especially for guitar cabs.

mick

Simon,
"British Style" is such a vague term for what you mean. Maybe you post a link to a piece of music (youtube) you´ve got in mind.
regards
Bernd

This.  Absolutely.

i dunno if this will help but i think the big difference is in micing technique.
eg. US using more condenser mics than dynamics in uk, especially for guitar cabs.

mick

Really?  What gives you that impression?  Have you worked with big name US and British engineers and noted this trend?  Any empirical evidence that the difference between "US" and "British" sounds are down to mic technique?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpgGAMAOCYQ

They talk about brickwall or something.. it's difficult to understand what they're talkin about (british style  :(  ), to much f**kin words..

I love this one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPm6f1HNzgw&ob=av2n

Mostly center panning area, even the strings sound...maybe they don't even need -100db stereo crosstalk console  :p

They talk about brickwall or something.. it's difficult to understand what they're talkin about (british style  :(  ), to much f**kin words..

They are referring to brickwall limiting in mastering i.e. ultra - compression.  Like pretty much everything released these days.  Google loudness wars, it's been discussed ad infinitum all over the place.  This is not a "British" sound.  ATM it's pretty universal.

Can you please explain what you mean by British sound?  You seem to actually mean "Oasis" sound; if you're after hints to mix similarly to Definitely Maybe, why not google "Owen Morris" I'm sure there will be more technical interviews out there.  FYI Your second link doesn't work in the US.

Oh, and if you struggle to understand Mancunian, god help you if you ever com across Geordies, Scousers or Glaswegians...

Strongroom said:

They are referring to brickwall limiting in mastering i.e. ultra - compression.  Like pretty much everything released these days.  Google loudness wars, it's been discussed ad infinitum all over the place.  This is not a "British" sound.  ATM it's pretty universal.

Yes, i know about loudness war, just got the latest album of coldplay "Mylo Xyloto", and i can't stand to hear it more than a few second! Very very iritating distorted sound....

Can you please explain what you mean by British sound?  You seem to actually mean "Oasis" sound; if you're after hints to mix similarly to Definitely Maybe, why not google "Owen Morris" I'm sure there will be more technical interviews out there.  FYI Your second link doesn't work in the US.

It's not only oasis, but i found that they had unique character and technique. I think it's about taste. If i don't have that  taste then i will always ended nowhere..
Thanks for the key words!
I just boring doing mixing for years only to make something sounds good, now i want character!

That link is oasis song called "I'm Outta Time", nice sounding mix and song!

Oh, and if you struggle to understand Mancunian, god help you if you ever com across Geordies, Scousers or Glaswegians...

Would He?  :)

Back