1176 bypass...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lguardiola

Hello,
Im building my first clone of the 1176 and Im having some problems.....first of all its not really bypassing when I set the meter switch to bypass....does the bypass just bypass the meter or the whole circuitry???...as far as I know, its suppose to bypass the circuitry that way you can compare the input signal with the comressed.....

I also think Im having problems with the compression circuitry, it just stopped compressing.....does anyone know where I can find good instructions on how to connect the RATIO switch???.....not sure if im doing something wrong....

thank you for your time...any info will be of great help

Hi,

You should use the support thread for your revision.

1.  It's not a bypass.  It simply turns off compression.  The signal still travels through the amp circuitry.
2.  Check the MNATS wiring pages to make sure you have the ratio connect correctly.
http://mnats.net/1176_reva-d_hairball_wiring_power.html

Mike

thanks for your help.....

I havent been able to find the thread for it....Im building Revision H/J....I havent been able to find it....

on the bypass; this will only bypass compression, but not the circuitry???.....didnt know this one, I thought I would bypass the circuitry so you can hear the original signal....

The bypass in the 1176LN just bypass compression linking pad 22 to ground. In other words, the bypass is not a "hard bypass" (where the input is wired directly to the output via relays), to have that you need some bypass relay's PCBs. The signal actually passes through the circuitry, catching the caracter of the circuit, so the sound you hear is not like the original you're inputing, but, has the 1176 character already.

In the mnats wiring pages, all is detailed described... in your version, I'm guessing you're building the ratio's rotary version, when bypassing the unit, your VU still shows the compression, so... be carefull in what you're hearing ;)

SaMpLeGoD said:
, your VU still shows the compression, so... be carefull in what you're hearing ;)

when I put my compressor on "bypass", it doesnt show any metering, the meter doesnt show anything....could this be that I have something wrong????......

I'll power on my "old" rev J this week, I don't want to induce you in a error, but I just almost sure that when you bypass the unit the compression is still shown... I let you know for sure ;)
Cheers

I know this is an old thread, but Ill try anyway.  Is it the same way with a stereo 1176?  There is the rotary option to bypass and understand that is to turn off compression, but you are still hearing the 1176 in the signal path.  But on the front panel there is a bypass switch?  With the stereo link boards from hairball could I wire it up so that it is a true bypass or would I need another circuit board?

Thanks. 

Brotastic said:
I know this is an old thread, but Ill try anyway.  Is it the same way with a stereo 1176?  There is the rotary option to bypass and understand that is to turn off compression, but you are still hearing the 1176 in the signal path.  But on the front panel there is a bypass switch?  With the stereo link boards from hairball could I wire it up so that it is a true bypass or would I need another circuit board?

Thanks.

Stereo Link boards just sum together the sidechain audio from both channels, and feed the newly summed audio to both channels. For a True bypass you would have to disconnect the output XLR from the circuitry and directly connect it to the input XLR. (Just like you might bypass a piece of equipment with a patchbay) Its not magic. You could do this by wiring the XLRs to a switch on the front panel, but that increases the length of audio carrying cable inside the chassis and is usually frowned upon, most people use relays. That way the switch can be right next to the XLR I/O and then a switch in front carries a voltage to the Relay, switching the relay on and off.

Good Luck!

Also there are bypass boards somewhere on this forum...I forget who was selling them...search and ye shall find! ;)

Back