NEVE 8816

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simonsez

My friend lend me this neve, after a few days mixing through this gear, i immediately  recognize that it's fatter than my previous mixed with my DIY summing mix. I can hear that neve sonic signarture (subtle). The only thing i don't like is my mix sound narrower! Yes, there is stereo expander there, but i dont like using it on master bus. This what i got with RMAA test :

8816-1.png

Stereocrosstalk is not so good  :-X

8816.jpg

Full of 5534/5534, there is AD797 at the mixbus amp.

Anyone play whit this?

0dbfs said:
Comparing to your DIY summing bus. What does yours use for makeup gain? Does yours have channel amps?

Cheers,
Jb

I use green pre for makeup gain, NO PAN, no channel amp. I wonder is it that difficult to 8816 designer to have better stereo crosstalk?

ruffrecords said:
-55dB crosstalk is fine. It is not poor enough for you to notice a narrowing of the stereo image.

Cheers

Ian

It's not a problem anymore for me after i get to used with it.

pucho812 said:
mulletchuck said:
sounds like a good candidate for Rev/Eng!

Better things are out there.

Agree, i think the sound is in that twin custom green iron...(carnhill). I love the sound!

we did a head option on sony 2 tracks that the spec was in the 25db crosstalk range. and this wasnt a sony spec, it was a standard spec, i forget which. I thought it was crazy but when i heard it, it sounded like radio immediately. certainly not for everything, but it sounded great. i wouldnt send anything out like that, but if you had the balls....

pucho812 said:
dsub  = 1 X DB25 connector

dsubs = more then one Db25 connectors on a a unit

in the case of the 8816 there  2 for the inputs

Ah..you mean DB25 connector, there are 5 of them at the rear panel, i don't know if it's wired backward or not, i never play with DB25 before. It came with extended cable that i connect it to my old Digi002 and saffire pro.

A friend got one when they first came out.  2 of the channels didn't work out of the box.
He replaced it with a pile of resistors and a pair of Great River pres, which sounded noticeably better (16->2 summer, panning done ITB).

I thought the recall system was pretty neat though.

Back