TBDD-500, TBDD-Rack, TB550A, TB2S

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

horvitz

TB550A v1.1:

550A-3Q-700x530.jpg

TB2S Discrete Op Amp:

TB2S.jpg

TBDD-500:

TBDD-500-front-sm.jpg

TBDD Rack PCB Set:

TBDD-R-PCB.jpg

Please visit the web store at http://tbaudiogear.com/ to learn more or place an order!

To purchase the TBDD Rack PCB Set, please go directly to the product page at  http://tbaudiogear.com/product/tbdd-rack-pcb-set/

Now also on Facebook!  Come give a like for more ramblings, development pics, discussion, and nonsense.  Exciting new stuff coming up and you'll see it there first.
http://facebook.com/tbaudiogear/

Brian

Man im saving money for this.
I might buy me one if the government doesnt throw me in jail.

Absolutley beautiful, will buy a pair when Igor comes out with his mini-kit! I'm not a very experienced builder but i got a tech in the family that can help me out if i run into problems :)

johnnyscotch said:
What does the "Fltr" switch do?

Just like the vintage unit, this enables a bandpass filter from 50Hz-15kHz.  Looks like this (click to see big):

Since there are electrolytics making part of the filter here, I did a lot of work to ensure that those selected most closely resemble the performance of the vintage units.  I compared a stack of different caps in mine against 5 different vintage EQs and eventually settled on the Elnas that you'll see in the kit.

is this lunchbox format or does it have xlr in and out along with a power in?

atticmike said:
is this lunchbox format or does it have xlr in and out along with a power in?

It is indeed a 500 series module, so you'll need a rack of some flavor to plug it in to.

Hi,

payment sent for a kit! Will the gar2520 offered by ClassicAPI be OK for the TB550A?

Thanks for this great project!

Matteo

Hi Matteo, thanks for your order!  That will go out today.

Yes, the gar2520 will work very well.  Remember that you'll need two of them.

Have fun with the build!

I agree, it is an expensive kit!  There's just plain a lot of stuff in there, those Grayhills being the most significant bit.  I should post some pics of the guts.

Yeah, let's see the guts! :D I will be down for at least two. Had some car and computer problems that have put a pinch on me $$ wise, but as soon as I can safely do so I'll be ordering a pair. I'm super pumped for these.

Whoops said:
[silent:arts] said:
Whoops said:
$410 without output transformer and the two 2520 Opamps ?

Seems ridiculous expensive!

thinking about the massive amount of Grayhills ...

... Still too expensive

Hey, guess what? You have an option here. Not to buy!  ::) Hurray!

BTW, did you ever price real 550As?

Price out the parts , and add some research & design
and decide if it's worth it to do it yourself

I don't know anyone else anyone brave enough to take on the mighty 550A , Bravo !
I'll buy one eventually , once i save up
but I never hoped to own [ or want to pay the price ] for a real 550A

And for me i think this follows where good quality D.I.Y. is usually 1/3-1/2 off
the authentic product , quality costs money , no way around it

Latest posts

Back