Stuck notes on MIDI keyboards - solutions?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lassoharp

Anyone ever have a problem with keyboard notes randomly sticking? - not physically, but acting as if the sustain pedal was kept in on position.

I'm currently using an Alesis IO2 express interface with Logic 8.  The glut of reading on the issue of sticking notes out there says it could be a number of things causing this.  From my personal experience I know that I've previously worked on Logic 8 using a Kurzweil sp 88 and 3 different audio interfaces (MOTU 828, Edirol, Focusrite Saffire Pro) and never had a problem with sticking notes on keyboard sounds.  The controller I'm currently using is a rather old - mid 90's - Casio student keyboard.  I've wondered if older technology has anything to do with it but it seems that others are having the same issues with modern controllers so I'm skeptical about hanging the hat on an old cheap controller.

I'm curious if anyone else here has had this problem and successfully solved it.  From forum reading it seems fairly common over a number of different DAW systems.  Anyone feel they have a good understanding of what causes this problem?

it could be a loose midi cable, or it could be the contacts in the keybed have started to wear out or have become dirty..  It's currently happening on my Kurzweil K2600XS which i use for controlling only.  I have yet to take it apart and clean/inspect them.

Dirty key contacts are a good possibility with the temp controller I'm using.  So, had your K2600X been performing in a stable manner over a long period and now it's starting to give stuck notes more frequently? 

I'm going to grab a better controller and see if that helps.

One strange thing also happening is that sometimes a note will stick and stay stuck after the transport has stopped and even the "panic" button will have no effect.  I literally have to remove the exs. instrument from the plug in slot and reinsert.

Have you ever had any evidence that shorter MIDI cables cause less hanging note problems than longer ones?  Seems to be something I'm hearing a number of people saying out there but I'm weary of that conclusion.

FWIW  I've just been able to use the Garage Band pianos with no hangers or any other glitches over many takes and a lot of playing time.  Don't know if that's suggesting problems with the native suites but at least it's something consistently good.

Latest posts

Back