multi/o soundcard for "analog plugins"

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rochey

White Market Member
Gents,

it's been a while since I messed with new DAW software, forgive me if this is a dumb question in today's space age.

I have a multichannel firewire interface, with more I/O than I need for simultaneous recording and playback. I'd like to use paired channels of ADC and DAC's as an "insert" or "Aux" out.

I could keep my raw audio in Cubase, then patch audio out to my analog compressor, then back in to the virtual channel strip.

Does this make any sense? Can someone give me some terms to google to find out more? I understand that I'd need some delay compensation. I'm sure that today's software can handle this easily! :)

Cheers

Rochey

There was a very interesting article in the sound on sound about 1-2 years ago about hybrid studio setup, including examples on how to do that in cubase. I do not have the time right now, but I will try to look it up tomorrow!

edit: that was actually easier than I thought:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/may10/articles/hybrid.htm

cheers

erik

Rochey said:
I could keep my raw audio in Cubase, then patch audio out to my analog compressor, then back in to the virtual channel strip.

Does this make any sense?
Yes it does; most mastering facilities do that on a daily basis, in oreder to connect their cherished analog chain to their DAW.

Cubase is great for this; at the moment you bring up an external FX, you get the option to measure the delay by sending a beep and then cubase automatically compensates for it. In this GS post, the poster mentions that cubase does not remember ext FX settings in terms of connections. Not true on my version (we´re on 5.5.4) - just make sure the external FX I/O does not conflict with your "regular" I/O.

i did that in protools, using my la2a for hardware insert, but i think it takes two times conversion process...

I do this with my sample libraries, running them thru AML's ez1073's then into the SB4001.  I use logic for this, so I don't know if it can do automatic Delay Compensation (never bothered to look).  but it makes everything sound a bit nicer.    I just use another audio channel to monitor the inputs that the gear is plugged into. 

Back