Patch Cables - Buy or build

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rochey

White Market Member
Gents,

I'm rewiring my studio, ready for regular podcasting, and to add more AD-DA channels (digital patchbay so I can add analog processors into my DAW)

I'm getting my patchbay sorted, which, as you can imagine, is going to take a lot of patch cables (TRS and TS). I was wondering if any of you had any thoughts on the best cables to use (while keeping costs as low as possible).

I was thinking of using some mogami w2552 cable and some relatively cheap jacks, but then I also saw patch cables on monoprice.com at about $3 a peice. http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10244#1024407

The quality may not be as awesome as good mogami with Neutrik connectors etc, but for a studio that gets used once a week for podcasting, do you think I need to make better cables than this?

I know this is groupdiy... but given the choice between soldering systems or cables, I know which one I'm tempted to do :)

Cheers

Rochey

Yeah. Just my personal opinion but I would recommend buying pre-made cables and spending your valuable time on custom stuff that cannot be ordered due to the nature of installing it or other commissioning requirements.

Cheers,
jonathan

I was recently going through the same debate with TT patch cables--in that case, buying pre-made was definitely the more cost-efficient solution.

It's hard to beat $3 a piece. 

I'm not experienced enough to comment on Mogami vs (fill in the blank), but anytime I do buy Mogami/Neutrik it comes from my inner OCD, rather than any rational technically-grounded thoughts...

david.

I once bought a big batch of this "$3 a piece" b-gauge cables for about 100 patch points. That rean molded stuff. It was the internal star quad that sold it to me. Little did I know the molds simply cannot be trusted.

One of the worst studio related mistakes of my life. Quality patch cables are very expensive and I'm still grudgingly living with it. But feeling of not being able to trust a patch point nags my very soul. A bad one comes up every once in a while and then you have to wiggle a big bunch of cables to find the culprit. Did I already say I hate these cables?

That was the last time I bought any cheap option. I mean, buy cheap, you will eventually have to get the premium option anyway and then you have paid twice.

Sometime in the future I'm looking at either buying a neutrik parts set for the cables (lets say $200-400) and a chore of two days. Alternative is spending probably $1000 on pre-made patch cables.

No wonder TV channels were the first to happily go all-digital.

I have had good luck with the low priced TT patchcables from eBay seller jdspromotions. They are in daily use since about two years and still solid.

I went with redco patch cables... They work nicely even if pricey. TT ends are pricey anyway so pre-made doesn't make much of a difference as far as cost. If I need TT to XLR or TRS i'll just cut some of the 48" TT's and make up the new ends.

I second Kingstons sentiment and also suggest purchasing from a known supplier.

Cheers,
jb

I find that the pre made mogami tt cables with molded ends last longer under regular use compared to other TT cables.  That Alone is a cost saver. Soldering TT's is hard work and the solder area wire etc have to be small. But if your looking to make some tt cables check out G&H plugs. They make TT ends that IMO are the best ends around. The metal cover/sleve on those screws in much like a switchcraft 1/4" plug. pretty neat.

As for B-gauge that's my current preference as I think more real estate per connection is a good thing.  However most clients want tt. Bgauge for me though. Yes I will make these as I can custom make the lengths for less money then buying from a store.

martthie_08 said:
I have had good luck with the low priced TT patchcables from eBay seller jdspromotions. They are in daily use since about two years and still solid.

+1!  Got a couple of bad ones out of 96, but he replaced them.
Best,
Bruno2000

Latest posts

Back