Zsys Detangler 8.8 and clocks. Quick question.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j.frad

Hi there!

Just to be sure, the Z8.8 handles multiple sampling rates so basically, but it doesn't do src right?
So whatever signal going IN determines the sampling rate going to the destination?
I guess just writing the question makes me understand.

Here's the deal.
I use an old Weiss 102 digital console and it's an old lady.
It needs to have an aes input signal to clock at startup (no wordclock). If it doesn't, it just won't find the clock and it will not find it on the fly if I change during the day.
I don't want to have to restart it, I need something that will constantly feed it with 44.1 or 48 clock.

I'm interested in the detangler to hook all my digital gear up, but is there a way I can use it to garantee there will always be a clock present at it's output?
Can you guys think of anything that would function as a video black generator but creating aes clock?

Thanks!

OK stupid question about creating AES black, lots of clocks do it...

I think the simplest way for me to keep a clock on my weiss is to get another piece of digital gear that has a wordclock input and that I can pass my AES signal through. Any equipment put in bypass would probably do it but what about jitter and all that stuff, what's the cleanest way of combining wordclock to my AES signal?

The Z Sys detanglers/patchbays are simply wide bandwidth switches that can handle any signal up to the voltage and frequency limit of the switch. They are "asynchronous switches". They can switch and route AES clock, word clock (with an impedance change), AES/EBU, Dolby digital, Dolby E, maybe even analog video (again with impedance changes and connector changes), all at once!

So, if you can preprogram your detangler for the routing that you want, it will do the rest.

BK

j.frad said:
Hi there!

Just to be sure, the Z8.8 handles multiple sampling rates so basically, but it doesn't do src right?
So whatever signal going IN determines the sampling rate going to the destination?
I guess just writing the question makes me understand.

Here's the deal.
I use an old Weiss 102 digital console and it's an old lady.
It needs to have an aes input signal to clock at startup (no wordclock). If it doesn't, it just won't find the clock and it will not find it on the fly if I change during the day.
I don't want to have to restart it, I need something that will constantly feed it with 44.1 or 48 clock.

I'm interested in the detangler to hook all my digital gear up, but is there a way I can use it to garantee there will always be a clock present at it's output?
Can you guys think of anything that would function as a video black generator but creating aes clock?

Thanks!

Hi!
Thanks, that's what I thought.
I think what I need for my Weiss is something like an src that will always put out the same sampling rate so that I'm sure it doesn't drop.
But I'm not sure it's the cleanest setup.

j.frad said:
Hi!
Thanks, that's what I thought.
I think what I need for my Weiss is something like an src that will always put out the same sampling rate so that I'm sure it doesn't drop.
But I'm not sure it's the cleanest setup.

The old Weiss is a synchronous unit. Every item that's patched in or out has to have a related sample rate or clock. There's nothing wrong with that, there are many advantages to synchronous switches. I have both a 64x64 synchronous switch and a 32x32 asynchronous switch in my mastering studio.

You're right, but the old lady is.....well, old.
It bugs if the clock is removed and I hate to restart it several times in a row.
I don't want to risk shipping it yet, it seems very fragile.

I'm trying to find an easier yet clean way of keeping it clocked and operationnal as I patch things around during the session.

Latest posts

Back