Audio interfaces in the mid range (Echo Digital Audios audiofire)?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I switched to RME back in 2011, I got the HDSPe AIO, because no matter what people say, firewire, thunderbolt and USB3, WILL NOT perform as well as a PCIe card plugged straight on to the motherboard.
I'm not saying external interfaces arent any good they are more than capeable, but if you have a desktop, you should make use of the PCIe slot as it will achieve lower latencies.
2 years on im still in love with the RME, I can honesty say, i have never had a crash since unsing the RME, they hype about their drivers is 100% true!

I am currently in the process of putting together a live set, I purchased a new laptop and audio interface this week, and I went straight for the RME Babyface, I have not regretted it.

If you can wait, just save up and get a second hand RME.

Kingston said:
RME is the midway option. They are not the "big money" players, you have the wrong idea. There's just about no other companies in that RME niche "professional but reasonably affordable". Next step is high-end which I guess you want to avoid.

Avoid the grief and save up for RME. You get the best drivers in the business and never have to worry about that side of the equation anymore.

Kingston said it all, really. RME and others similar are mid range.
RME is also, at the moment, the most stable in the market. It's drivers and support are making it more stable than Appoggee, Avid, MOTU (pci and fw/usb) and others I can't be arsed to name because they have been performing even worse. We have over 12 different interface setups running and none beat that!

I'm about to receive an antilope which for for the price (£1800 for 32i/o and Madi, USB, ADAT, etc.) will probably fit a more mid range category (just because of the sheer number of I/O) and am  pretty excited about it.

everything else will give you grief.

The prism stuff as also been pretty sweet but way too expensive for the range you gave us.

I have to say Autophase is also right on the money, however, RME Usb drivers (eg. UFX and UCX) are more than stable and capable.

if you only need 2 channels of input, there's the 2x6 card for the Symphony.  you can get a complete rig for $1995 USD, card + chassis.    you'll still need cables though.  2 analog ins, 6 analog outs, and 8x8 digital I/O.  No preamps, tho.  just converters.  but if you're on this forum, you probably have a bunch of DIY preamps! :-D

Back