Reverb Types

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saxmonster

Trying to get as close of a reverb like this performance.

Check out this link please

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncIM1VRBSe8

Just wondering what type of reverb it is.  I can hear the change in sound when they go from the microphone on his shirt to the logic setup he is using with the wireless.  I can hear the eq difference and the compression but what is the reverb doing.  Its there but its not.  The sax still sounds upfront and clear yet the reverb gives it depth and warmth and spaciousness.  Is  it a plate with no early reflections?  Just verb?  I am a newbie at this stuff and when I add reverb to my sax sounds its always too much or not enough and I get too much of the sound type of the room that the reverb it imitating.  I am still a newbie and have a lot to learn but I feel like I should be able to achieve these types of results with reverb.  I know every sax player and recording will sound different but he is using a shure 98 wireless mic going into logic.  Just wondering if you guys could give some pointers.  Should i use the verb as a thru or as a send.  I have waves true verb, renaissance verb.  and digital performer proverb and verb.  I would think I could get close to something like this verb.  Should i eq first then compress or do the reverse.

Thanks
-Scott

Try compressing first on an insert a bit, eq on the next insert if you want/need, then aux send out to a reverb. The other tracks like drums and pianos and bass, etc, will tend to mask a little of the verb than when listening to the "naked" sax/verb. This TV mix has quite a bit of overall compression going on too.

Thanks Riggler,

Any idea on what type of verb it might be?  A hall, or plate or something in between?  I like how it sounds airy / open yet focused and not too long.

-Scott

I will sometimes run vocal (or other instrument) to post fader compression and have reverb return non compressed. Gives some dynamics to the send and wet/dry balance depending on how loud they sing/play... Can be tweaked to be more or less subtle...

Cheers,
jb

I hear some delay going on.

It might be pre-delayed a bit too, (delaying the whole reverb by 30-100ms) lets things sound more upfront

Have you tried Eqing your reverbs? Cutting some highs, maybe some mids.

Delays are awesome...

Personal preference of course...just some ideas

I would say Plate ;)

that sounds like a really big hall verb and maybe a little bit of a tiled room in there too, but mainly sounds like a big wet hall

I played in a tv studio once (no audience) for a public access thing, and the room itself had lots of natural room verb.  Don't forget they have mics over the audience to capture the applause.  Though, at 5:15 you can really hear the reverb because the track stops..

Warren is a beast!

Latest posts

Back