Neve 1073 clone PDF's uploaded

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Linear

Hi,

I've just uploaded PDF's and photos for a complete 1073 clone that I made. It uses the original layouts but has all 5 boards consolidated onto a single PCB.

The old Neve 1073 info is still up but I have since changed domain names and added more info:

http://www.linear-recording.com.au/neve.htm

[lots of links on the web point to the old address www.wagrecords.net/neve.htm ]

Let me know if there are any problems.

Cheers

Chris

Thanks a lot!!!

One question. I found this on your site:

"There are one or two minor errors, if anyone actually makes this and can't figure them out I will help you. It is a couple of traces and a couple of jumpers that need fixing."

Do you mean on your PCB Layout? can you explain them?...

Regards
Leslie

[quote author="Leslie West"]Thanks a lot!!!

One question. I found this on your site:

"There are one or two minor errors, if anyone actually makes this and can't figure them out I will help you. It is a couple of traces and a couple of jumpers that need fixing."

Do you mean on your PCB Layout? can you explain them?...

Regards
Leslie[/quote]

There's a problem with one of the jumpers on the switch board and a tiny part of the main board. I cannot remember where the error is, but it is small and simple. If anyone does make one, I will pull out of the rack and post the fix - I promise.

Yes I'm lazy.

Cheers

Chris

Anyone has a list of the switches (types) used in the 1073?

If it´s simpler (and cheaper!!!) than the 1081 swicthes, I´ll just give up 1081 and go for the 1073.

Hi Chris!
Nice looking unit you have there! :thumb:

Rafa!
You can use what ever you like in a 1073 for the EQ, shorting!
Even Lorlin will work and as there's no DC feeded through them I think they will last!
two of 2x6 (three if you want HF switching also) and one of 1x12

[quote author="rafafredd"]Anyone has a list of the switches (types) used in the 1073?

If it´s simpler (and cheaper!!!) than the 1081 swicthes, I´ll just give up 1081 and go for the 1073.[/quote]

I designed the switch board to use the lorlin-type switches. Nice and cheap and the soldering for all the switches (4M7's) is done on the board, making it much easier.

The only one you can't get around is the gain switch.

Cheers

Chris

[quote author="Bauman"]Chris, thanks a lot for this!! Great stuff!!

Could I ask for the gerbers?? :cool:[/quote]

Sorry, no gerbers.

I did all these layouts manually in Freehand. Makes it easier to preserve the original track layouts for the BA cards.

I'm sure there were easier ways of doing it but to be honest all the PCB layout software I found wasn't very intuitive and I already knew Freehand backwards (dumb i know...)

Chris

Hi Chris,

Great work, thanks for sharing!

Checked your site out by the way- cool looking studio.

...I think my favourite part is your quote about your (admittedly lovely :wink: ) A80:

Linear has this machine for three reasons a) Willi Studer had a great haircut b) it has 24 VU meters and c) they do not and will not make machines like this ever again.

:green: :green: :green:

Too funny!!

...did you fix those channels?

Ampex 440 1" 8 track= analogue heaven

:cool:

Mark

[quote author="Kev"]Sorry Chris,
I should have said welcome back ...
so
welcome ... to the new place.

err

tell us about your studio build.
:cool:[/quote]

Hi Kev,

Thanks!

Studio build? hmm.... what do you want to know?

re: cost of 1073, that's a difficult one. I think the transformers set me back about AU$400, I had to wind my own inductors that cost about $100, and probably another AU$700 in parts from farnell.

I do have the parts list somewhere if by chance someone wants it... I think it's an excel spreadsheet.

uh, here it is - HOWEVER there may be things wrong, it was a long time since I did it (I know the switches are wrong, you need the lorlin types). Check before you order, it's probably 98% correct.

http://www.linear-recording.com.au/Graphic%20Design/Photos/1073/1073.xls

Cheers

Chris

:shock: :shock:
beauiful chris !!
do you have the PSU schematics ??
how you connect the Vu meter ??
Thanks for the pics !!

Extremely cool info, thank you very much.

Just curious and i don't want to open a can of worms but what do you think is the reason your clone sounds not exactly like a real one ?
OK i know (at least i read) that even among the originals there are sound differences. But what i want to get to is do you think with sticking carnhill trafos and inductors in your layout it's possible to get REAL close ?

I ask this out of curiousity (sp?) , nothing else :green:

Flo

[quote author="Linear"]Studio build? hmm.... what do you want to know?[/quote]
who was it for .. perhaps

big ... small ?
good stuff ... bad stuff ?
would you change things if you did it again ?
did you take any pictures ?

just stuff
:thumb:

[quote author="Infernal_Death"]Extremely cool info, thank you very much.

Just curious and i don't want to open a can of worms but what do you think is the reason your clone sounds not exactly like a real one ?
OK i know (at least i read) that even among the originals there are sound differences. But what i want to get to is do you think with sticking carnhill trafos and inductors in your layout it's possible to get REAL close ?

I ask this out of curiousity (sp?) , nothing else :green:

Flo[/quote]

Well I suspect the biggest difference is the transformers and inductors. Actually, that's probably 90% of the difference.

I'm no expert, I've used a 1073 once but never done a direct comparison. What I do know is the pre is fantastic, and the EQ is very musical and it's hard to make it sound bad.

The inductors I used were pot core inductors from here:

http://www.catchnet.com.au/~rjandusimports/pc_data.html

And I wound them myself, using a special winding jig. I just calculated the values, so there is no guarantee the inductance is spot on.

I also used Sowter trannies, the originals used Marinair. Also the caps I used in the eq section (the big polyester ones) were nothing like the ones used on the original.

It sounds different, but fantastic all the same. I have lots of other pre's, but this 1073 I made is the first choice for vocals. It's the only time I'll eq vocals whilst tracking to tape.

Close to a real one? Who knows. I guess you could get very close. The track layout for the amplifiers is identical, but I guess it depends on the 1073 you're comparing it to. The originals are all around 30 years old now and are all in various states of repair/disrepair.

Cheers

Chris

The inductors I used were pot core inductors from here:
Great work Chris, could you tell us more about core you used? I have some old siemens n22 and n48 and not sure can i use it for 1073 :?: I'm specially interested how you made hpf core, is that ferrite :?:

BTW, i like your pcb artwork, just curious about pads distances. Looks too close on the side for switch board. Did you made some revision, or i'm missing something :?:

Latest posts

Back