Anyone still using valve amps for monitor tweeters?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrclunk

We're revamping our main monitors and there's a couple of valve mono blocks i could use on the tweeters.
I'd need to restore them first,  think they're old ex-bbc Leak or Quads. Been in my bro's shed for years.
Good idea?
Currently there's samson amps on the tweeters..

mrclunk said:
We're revamping our main monitors and there's a couple of valve mono blocks i could use on the tweeters.
I'd need to restore them first,  think they're old ex-bbc Leak or Quads. Been in my bro's shed for years.
Good idea?
Currently there's samson amps on the tweeters..

I don't know anything about the old valve mono blocks but I do know that the Samson amps are some of the worst I've ever heard. I spent far too much of my life thinking that a power amp was a power amp. When I got serious about mastering I started comparing amps.  I have only ever heard one that was worse then the Samson.

I had a friend sell some old valve monos recently and he made a tidy sum so I'd venture that they are worth restoring either way, if they sound good all the better, if not sell them on.

thanks ,
I don't think the Samsons are doing the speakers (ATC) justice either... I believe our ones are from a time when Samson possibly made some half decent amps tho. Been reliable for 10+ years at least.

Anyway i just scored a Crown macro-tech for the mids, was going to build hypex for  mids and tweeters but the Macro-Tech was about a quarter the price of the parts so i'll try that first.

Already have a nice Macro Reference on the subs so just leaves  the tweeters.
My bro reckons tube amps can handle high frequency transients better than SS but maybe thats not the case anymore?
Chaps on some of the PA forums certainly don't rate the Class D stuff for high frequency.
I've the mystery tube monos or some Quad 50E's to choose from at the mo, i'll need to restore both first and you maybe right about selling the Valve amps. If they are what i think they are  there's currently a pair on ebay for £4000!!

mrclunk said:
Chaps on some of the PA forums certainly don't rate the Class D stuff for high frequency.
I've the mystery tube monos or some Quad 50E's to choose from at the mo, i'll need to restore both first and you maybe right about selling the Valve amps. If they are what i think they are  there's currently a pair on ebay for £4000!!

I wouldn't pay much attention to the chatter on the PA forums.  Remember how I said the Samson was the 2nd worst amp I'd ever heard, the worst in recent memory was a Crown Class D affair, shockingly bad.  Class D is now as broad a definition as "car" is, there are great class D amps and awful ones.  I had Hypex UCD400 for a while on my mastering rig (about $20K of PMC) and they sounded fantastic.

For critical listening I'd probably aim for all 3 amps to be the same design in an active system but that's just superstition on my part, worries of different phase responses etc.

I had Quads in Ireland and they were fine but the Hypex beat them by a considerable margin, I wouldn't go back.

Sounds like those Valve amps will have to go!  Good luck getting them up and running.

For critical listening I'd probably aim for all 3 amps to be the same design in an active system but that's just superstition on my part, worries of different phase responses etc.

Sounds sensible to me.

I think I'd be tempted to restore the valve amps and flog em to a hifi enthusiast. You'd probably get a good price for them and that would fund a good few Hypex modules.

The Gimmer

Back