Ballbearings for Sennheiser mics (421, 441)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zebra50

Hi!

Does anyone know the size of the ball bearing that jumps out of Sennheiser mics and flies across the carpet when you dismantle the filter switch?  :mad:

I'd guess about 2mm....

Thanks!

Stewart

Put away the magnifying glass, and get off your hands and knees.
I have a 421 U-5 here, and that little PIA registers 3mm, from what I can see.
This one sounds a little thin, and I fear it needs a new capsule. Any suggestions other than sending it back to Sennheiser?

tchgtr said:
This one sounds a little thin, and I fear it needs a new capsule. Any suggestions other than sending it back to Sennheiser?

Is the switch still functional ? A 421 I bought was sounding thin as well. It turned out that the little plastic part that makes the switch-ring do the actual switching was broken, so the HPF-switch was stuck in the thinnest position, regardless of the position of the ring. Making some replacement for the little plastic part made the lows coming back.

Bye,

Peter

clintrubber said:
Thanks Peter,
  This mic is owned by a drummer.... I just reassembled it after removing some schmutz from the diaphragm as suggested by MicDaddy, and there were a lot of problems around the switch, with disconnected wiring and circuit traces pulling off. It still sounds thin and has weak output, so the switch is where I will look on the next go-round.
Thanks everybody! He's a very good drummer and friend, and I would like to be able to fix this for him.

Seems like there was a short in the rats nest around the HPF. What a mess!
Think I have it working though. Thanks everybody. This place is the best...

Found it on the floor whilst looking for a screw! It measures 3.2 mm.
And on the day that the replacements arrived...

Now if I can just find the screw....

Latest posts

Back