help with understanding remote on/off on this power supply?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mbira

I got one of these:
http://www.meanwell.com/search/lps-75/LPS-75-spec.pdf

I'm trying to figure out how to hook up a simple on off switch with a LED to it.  I'm curious what the remote on/off switch is for (CN3).

Is it for an external power source and it would have to feed 4-10V to turn it off and 0-.8V to turn it on?  IE: is this not what I'm wanting to interface with for the on/off?  I guess I can just pull it straight off the 5V DC off the output...

If you look at their other supplies: short the terminal = off; open the terminals = on; you must use voltage-free contacts to provide remote on/off.. Perhaps you could use a double pole switch to give one set of contacts for the remote on/off, and the otherr pole for LED ?

Meh, my switch is rated to handle ac ok, so I guess I'll just switch from the mains into the ps.

Mbira said:
I got one of these:
http://www.meanwell.com/search/lps-75/LPS-75-spec.pdf

I'm trying to figure out how to hook up a simple on off switch with a LED to it.  I'm curious what the remote on/off switch is for (CN3).

Is it for an external power source and it would have to feed 4-10V to turn it off and 0-.8V to turn it on?  IE: is this not what I'm wanting to interface with for the on/off?  I guess I can just pull it straight off the 5V DC off the output...

they say said:
RC+/RC- : 0 ~ 0.8V power on ; 4 ~ 10V power off

Not immediately clear. Literally it reads like 0 to .8V = power on,  4 to 10V is power off.

You can't very well use the power supply output to turn itself on and off... When I see descriptions like that I just experiment and see what works.

One possibility that fits their data, is if they have an internal pull up resistor on that RC port. If that's the case, you should measure several volts of DC there with a  VOM.

If yes, a switch closure across the RC port should turn it on.

If true you can easily light an LED with a DPST switch grabbling LED power from the supply.. to make it work with a single pole switch would be harder but probably possible.

JR

Latest posts

Back